What do you think of this villa I drew?

Because you don’t use an elevator so much. It was not meant to be an elevator at all, but then I found a place so why not. I’ts mostly for heavy suitcases.

They are together, but I call the washing machine WM. I don’t know what letters are used in english floor plans so I made up some myself. :slightly_smiling:

I haven’t read this whole thread but as I design houses I thought I would comment.

You have a carport but it looks like your overhang on the way to the front door has a bay window in it which means you can’t get to the front door without going back out into the rain and snow. That’s a pity.

By European standards, it’s a very inefficiently shaped house. Even if you have the space, it means you have a lot of outside surfaces and so more area to lose heat from. Not a problem in southern California, but in Vermont…

You also have a front door that enters directly into the living space. A lobby or porch helps with privacy and with heat loss (by creating a kind of airlock).

There is a great deal of glass. Nice but expensive and means high heat loss.

It is difficult to tell whether the layout is good because you show no orientation. Also, without knowing location, it’s difficult to know how much attention has been paid to things like solar gain, summer shading, etc.

It will be interesting to see how you deal with the roof as you have a very irregular plan shape. It could become quite complex (for which read interesting but costly).

But for a “hobby” designer, it’s pretty good, I’d say.

Oh, are you an architect? Wow! I have never talked to an architect before, well one time.

Yeah, I thought about that. In the beginning the roof was covered the whole way, but then I thought it’s not so important. But maybe it is…

This is my dream house so it’s located in a sunny country. :slightly_smiling:

What do you mean with “you have a lot of outside surfaces and so more area to lose heat from”…?

I don’t find airlock so important in a warm country. And not all houses have that, so I thought it would be ok. The garage is sort of a an airlock when entering there. But I thought about having an extra door to the laundry so the laundry becomes an extra airlock.

When it comes to roof and exterior I want it to look something like this house.

This is a wonderful exercise/journey to deciding how you choose to use this space. It’s refreshing to see people objectively/respectfully challenge your thinking vs the drawing. My only concern is that I don’t see much of a narrative regarding the mechanicals, such as HVAC and water, etc. This adds another dimension, which shouldn’t be an after-thought, but rather, incorporated into your hobby. Is there an implied sun-position? Is there a desire to utilize photovoltaic or solar-thermal? Putting some of the mechanicals inside the building envelope will have an impact on your floorplan.

I don’t know anything about that, and since it’s such a luxury house I though technical thing will probably dissolve. Money is no issue in this dream house of mine. :stuck_out_tongue: But in what way do you mean it effects the floor plan?

I’m thinking south is on the left side. And that it will be in a warm country with a flat site but with a beach on the end of the backyard.

“…technical thing will probably dissolve”… Not sure I understand your comment, but it sounds dismissive of some of the aspects that constitute good design. If money is no object, just slap on another room to house all your mechanicals. Good design (to me) is something that fits your life-style, and is both economical to build and sustain. I believe you already received some feedback regarding the complex roofline and heat loss. Again, if money is no object, dismiss them and spend the money.
Good luck.

I meant it will probably not be a problem. Or? I guess that room can be in the basement then?
In what way has this house a heat loss?
Do you mean you think it will be so difficult to get a good looking roof…?

I’m not gonna build this house, it’s just a fun dream. :stuck_out_tongue:

If the climate is warm, a lot of what I said is irrelevant. Here in the UK we have to take heat loss seriously.

What I meant by “a lot of outside surfaces” is that your design is about as far from a simple four sided box as you can get. The relationship between plan area and outside wall is important for heat loss. The most efficient shape from that point of view is a sphere, and a cylinder is better than a square. But neither are very practical to build so a square or slightly rectangular plan is the closest in building terms. Whilst this may not matter if you don’t have to heat the house much, it will have an impact on construction cost, quantities of materials used, and so forth.

The kind of exercise you are doing, which largely ignores location and site, can only ever be so useful. In the real world, you cannot design a notional house and then expect to plonk it down on any site. The design has to respect its environs and local conditions. Orientation will be hugely important, as will site levels, and local styles. Having said that, we all indulge in these fantasies from time to time!

BTW, your example house looks uncannily like mine except that mine has pitched roofs!

Aha, I didn’t know that. Interesting.

I imagen this house being on a rather flat surface and with south to the left. :slightly_smiling:

Can I see a pic of your house then? Did you design it?

And why are everyone in the UK called Simon. :smiley:

Do you guys think I should have columns and railing on the porch? Maybe it’s unnecessary?

I worry that the kitchen are to far from outside view… I could have made the living room a little more narrow though, then the kitchen get’s closer to the dining and it’s windows… :neutral_face:

As a first effort it is very good, from a european point of view none of the bedrooms seem to be “en suite” which over here would mean virtually unsaleable…

Aha, never heard that word before. Interesting! I live in Sweden and we basically never have “en suite”. I thought that would be an american thing in that case. Where do you live?

Thank you for putting your work out there. Learning how to work with critiques can be a very useful part of the design process.

1 Like

I live in sw France, I am english. all new builds have bathrooms attached to the bedroom so you don’t have to wander around in the night in whatever you sleep in…

Ok. That’s why I made a corridor on the second floor away from the tv-room.

Here’s a shot of my house. I didn’t design it, though I have added to it.

1 Like