Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hello, all. I’ve been here for a while but never seemed to have the time to make an entry here – 'til today.

I retired (early) from IBM in 1993 and since I had some equipment at hand, I opened a specialty construction business. That kept me active until the end of 2005. In the early years I spent a few months getting a commercial driver’s license, buying a BIG truck and doing some hauling for local businesses. I also upgraded my equipment and took on some bigger jobs. That was about 1998. From there until I retired (again) in 2005 things were – interesting. I won’t bore you with the details but the company gradually became a money sink which along with a weakening economy made it clear it was time to hang up my spurs.

So it should be clear that I’m not associated with any industry and use Sketchup only to support my innate curiosity and woodworking. Actually, I’ve been using DesignCAD (formerly Prodesign in the late '80s) so I’m not unfamiliar with the concepts involved. The 3D aspects in DesignCAD are somewhat lacking, however, so it has fallen out of favor around here. It is an excellent 2D tool, however.

I use Sketchup because its free and it does what it says it will do. Being a novice in the 3D world I can’t always make it do what I want it to but I’m learning.

I don’t have a 3DW page and don’t expect to ever have one. I’m 77 and have little time for frills.

Most of the things I build are for my shop which itself needs a lot of work.

I hope to check back here occasionally but I won’t be a regular. My computer activities are limited to email, Twitter, cash management and everything related to electric cars. I may never own one but I’m intensely interested in them and energy happenings in general. If you share that interest check out Robert LLewellen’s YouTube channel, Fully Charged.

2 Likes