WallCutter will not let me move shape close to corner

RH Hexagon Feb 17 9 pm.skp (207.4 KB)
WallCutter not working
I’ve successfully used WallCutter to cut shapes into walls a number of times. This time it does not work. Why not?

Peter Enns

It has to fall within one face everywhere it cuts. It can’t straddle any edges of a face. Sometimes it’s something on the other side of the wall that it doesn’t like. Is it mitered or notched on the back side?

I’m trying to move the component close to the corner. But, it will not go there. It is intentionally made small enough so the the entire shape should fit within the trapezoid frame without touching any lines.

So, straddling any edges should not be a problem.

Peter Enns

It’s probably due to the component’s glue properties

What are “glue properties” & how do I change them?

I’ve never used or heard of WallCutter, but it is pretty clear from your vid that the component is not attached to your cursor at a relevant point.

It is often not helpful using extensions that you need to learn when you aren’t quite grasping the concepts you are trying to automate. Because that is all extensions do, they generally replicate or automate basic or standard functions.

I believe that @Box is correct (thought @Yoni may need to verify). It looks like the component is being moved by the lower left corner of the container. Since you made the geometry into a trapezoid rather than the intended rectangle, it is being placed where there is no geometry.

I have to ask again, is there a reason you keep fighting through learning the basics with this model, rather than easier to learn geometry?

2 Likes

WallCutter works perfectly. You need to understand how it works.

The glued point is the center of component axes, so that face must cut tottaly the component you are trying to cut.

Your model is a mess, you should learn to group edges and faces in order to avoid the problems you are suffering. That is by learning the basics as @TheOnlyAaron and @Box are trying to say you.

2 Likes

When you create a component on an existing face it is glued to this face. This is useful for things like windows and doors that you can slide sideway while keeping then on the face.

If you want to unglue such component, do a double click on it to bring up a contextual menu then choose Unglue from this menu. Once it is done, you can move it without restriction.

Right click for context menu not double click.

Hi Peter, I’m not entirely sure what you’re trying to do in the model, and as others have stated above the components and geometry hierarchy are a bit a of a mess. This would require some fixing up before wall cutting or doing any other operation.

If you want, we can schedule a zoom call and I can help you out to straighten the model out. Leave me a message at: Contact – FlexTools

One thing I noticed in the model is that ‘Length Snapping’ is on, and it could also be one of the causes for the geometry/components jumping around to unexpected locations. Try disabling the length snapping. To do so, in the menu above go to: Window > Model Info > Units > Uncheck ‘Enable length snapping’ and then try again to move the geometry to where you need it.

I hope this helps.

Well, … there’s a bunch of stuff there that’s kind of a confused mess. There is loose geometry at the Root (top) level that also seems to be a duplication of the same stuff nested inside the wall component.

The window frames are very close, but not quite on the face of the wall. Is that intentional?

FlexTools wall cutters can be great, particularly when you have a zillion windows to cut in like in this example, but I’m not sure I would bother in this case with so few/unique windows.

The window unit and cutting action can all be done in one go if you know how to use it as shown in this example. BTW, the Unlink command just breaks the dynamic aspect of the hole cutting – in a sense it makes the hole permanent as if you had simply created it with native tools.

You are correct, right click.