Viewport has resize box inside a blue box, and can't open model, Yellow Caution Sign!

I have been editing this page for a couple of days. Working between fixing errors in SU model and then updating the model in LO. At some point day I could not access the model on the page to update the LO contents. If I grab a resize point, the viewport expands but so does the outlaying blue box. Any ideas how to fix this?

Share the LayOut file so we can see what you have going on.

Hi Dave,
I found out that in LO: Documents, Reference …SU file “out of day”. Clicked on Update, returned to LO page. Double box still there. Clicked once and the model is now on its own space. Click on that and SU model in identified for updating. Since double box when next request made.

I had also played around in LO: Preference and changed setting in Auto Render to not Auto Render model. I went back and set them to default values. Do know if that had an effect.
Forgot how to up load docs. Both SU and LO?

Bigelow 7.1 Final.layout (12.7 MB)

Your initial problem stems from having made a group in LayOut to contain the viewport. The outer blue box represents the group. Of course it has to get larger if you enlarge the viewport. There’s no point in putting a viewport by itself into a group.

Of course the double box will still be there. If you don’t want the outer box use ungroup.

resize

I note that you are modifying camera positions in viewports. The Reset button in the Camera section is a clue.

This can create issues if you need to make updates to the scenes in SketchUp. Resetting the camera wreaks havoc with the view and things like dimensions as seen here:

There’s a lot of viewports that have the same issue. Another example. It already shows a label connected to a part of the model that isn’t visible in the viewport.

And things get worse when the Camera is reset.

Better not to make changes to the Camera properties.

Looking at one of the .skp files included in the LO file I note a little incorrect tag usage …
Screenshot - 6_4_2023 , 8_42_14 PM

… and a lot of hoarding of unused stuff.
Screenshot - 6_4_2023 , 8_42_36 PM
Purging that stuff reduced the file size by more than 55%.

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the animated tutorial on “ungrouping” elements. I do like to make a lot of categories, but that was unintentional.

The next problem is the camera properties: Is the problem with any change in the SU camera properties “camera extent” when a “scene” is updated? (I try to use a common set of SU components to establish a default “camera extent” but forget to follow it) Or does it also include changes to the “standard views” in a scene update? If not these then what? What effect is there making multiple copies of a view port and changing camera “standard views” from same SU scene?

Looking at the two cautions you flagged, The “default tag geometry”, how do I find out what that means.
And secondly, what tool do you use to “purge” and find other usage problems?

Finally. I have not found a way to include “active cuts” for sectional views other than creating a SU scene. Suggestions?
Thanks again for the timely rescue!
Sam

Simply put you need scenes in SketchUp to properly manage the viewports in Layout. One should not double-click into the viewport, this breaks the link to SketchUp. There are tutorials at the Learning Center

It’s anything that results in the Reset button in the Camera properties section of the Sketchup Model panel. Manually selectng a Standard View or ticking the Ortho box will do it. Also opening the viewport to choose a different camera position (Zoom, Orbit, or Pan) will do this. When you need to update the viewport from the SketchUp model or you copy the viewport and want to change to a different scene, resetting the Camera properties will create problems. If you do as both @RLGL and I have advised and make scenes in SketchUp for the viewports you’ll have in LayOut, you don’t need to modify the Camera properties and you won’t have the problems. Here’s another example of the kind of mess you can wind up with. There’s just no need to create the potential for that in the first place.

If you read the help files at SketchUp.com as well as do searches for correct tag usage here on the forum you’ll see that the “rule” is to keep all edges and faces untagged. Only put tags on groups and components in the model. This will prevent issues with things disappearing when you don’t want them to and it will make your work flow simpler.

As for purging unused stuff, it can be done via Model Info>Statistics>Purge Unused. I use a plugin from Sketchucation called Purge All because it gives the report I showed so you can see how many components and other things are removed.

Make scenes in SketchUp.