Upgrading computer

Hey Everyone!

I’m looking to get a desktop as right now I use a laptop for SketchUp, escape 3d and twinmotion. Plus autocad etc. I’m trying to decide whether I go back to the new Imac 27" or build a custom pc. My biggest issues are the rendering programs and SketchUp constantly lagging including layout. I have a powerful laptop now but I need to be able to get back my time instead of waiting for programs to respond. Which route would you go?

Here is what I currently have but with a 1TB SSD

• Processor

9th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-9750H Processor (2.60 GHz, up to 4.50 GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 Cores, 12 Threads, 12 MB Cache)

• Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64

• Display Type

15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, anti-glare with Dolby Vision™, HDR 400, 500 nits, 144Hz

• Memory

16 GB DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 8 GB)

• Hard Drive

512 GB PCIe SSD

• Warranty

One Year Legion Ultimate Support

• Graphics

NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 2070 with Max-Q 8GB

• Camera

720p HD

• Keyboard

RGB Backlit - US English

• Wireless

Killer Wireless 802.11 AC (2 x 2) + Bluetooth® 5.0

That’s a powerful laptop that looks like you’ll have no problem running SketchUp, Layout, and rendering (if you do rendering).

So my question to you is: Why get a complete new computer?

Instead, assuming your laptop can use external screens, get a huge, hi definition screen, Bluetooth Mount (or trackball if you prefer), Bluetooth Keyboard, and if you’re really serious, one of the 3DConnection motion controllers.

Then, setup your display settings so that, when the external monitor (or monitors) are connected, the laptop screen is OFF.

I currently run all these programs on it. Have a second monitor etc. My main business is using these program, but my laptop seems to be working overtime to use these programs. Ive built an entire neighbourhood and it takes me crazy amounts of time to change something because I get the circle of death. I put some of the components to proxy’s and removed anything that would cause major lagging but it still lags. :frowning: so I was thinking it was because of the laptop and maybe a desktop would be better so heavier work

Hmmm. If you are indeed doing all you can to keep your models slim and trim - poly and picture count-wise, then the 3 hardware things that could help are:

• FASTER processor - Number of cores doesn’t matter except when rendering. SketchUp - like all 3D modeling program - can only use a single core!
  • More memory
  • FASTER memory - you didn’t give specs on your memory speed. And frankly, I wouldn’t know fast from slow on this!

And if you depend on the suite of programs for your livelihood, then a 2nd computer - laptop or desktop - might be considered a good business continuity investment! If there’s a problem with either computer, you can use the other while the problem one is fixed.

There is not much you can do. If you go and buy the fastest computer on the market, the boost compared to what you currently have is probably barely noticeable. I would guess, however, that adding more memory is to be recommended. 16 GB is sort of entry level today.

What are the statistics of your problem model?

1 Like