Untagged missing, pencil to select active tag is missing

Thanks guys that you fixed the problem super fast!

Since I reported the issue, I played around with the new tagging workflow and let me share my experience:

• previously if I worked on a group of items (like walls, later eqipments, etc.) I had to concentrante ones before starting to draw. Before starting to work on the things, I was selected the active layer and I was fine.
  • now as there is no option to pre-select the destination tag, all things arrive to untagged. So I need to concantrate at the end of the task: turn master toggle to hide all already tagged stuff, select all entities (be sure, that all is selected) and assigne the proper tag. And finally turn back the tag which was enabled before. If there are 10 layers, then I need to memoize the 6 tags which were visible, before I hit the master toggle. This causes an extra cognitive load for the user.
    So, there is a feature missing from the app: without playing around with master toggle: select all untagged entities. A shortcut could help here a lot!

I see the pros of the new workflow, but I would be happy to see an option to still use the pre-selet version. That fits better for me.
I understand that this is a subjective opinion, but maybe there are other people sharing this experience, and maybe later you consider to put the option back (even with feature switch to the preferences).

3 Likes

The rightclick on an entity > select > on same layer/tag works only in the current context, so if you have grouped or isolated geometry it will only be selected if you have some ‘loose’ geometry.
If you could rightclick on an object and select ‘on same tag’ a shortcut could be defined

1 Like

Thanks MikeWayzovski! This seems a good alternative!

Hi Daniel, I’d be curious to learn a bit more about your tagging process. When you say that you select all entities and then tag them, are you tagging things such that every edge and face are tagged? Or are you tagging groups/components? Or both?

Hi sketchup team,
I am a sketchup free user modeling my house that I want to build. Since last Friday, I cannot select layers(tags). It is either all of them or none. Clicking on any of the eye buttons has no effect. As far as I understand, it is due to the fact that “untagged” layer does no longer exist. When change was done on Friday, I was working on another layer.
I appreciate your tool and I have no doubt that changes aim to improve it, but I am stuck and suggested work around in this thread do not work for me (or I do not understand, I am not an expert). Can anybody help?
Thanks
U

Hi Mike! I use tagging for both edges and faces, but also components/groups. Please note, that I’m a hobby user, so maybe I don’t do thing as I should be.

Tag groups and components only. If you tag edges an faces, later group them and put them on a tag chaos will ensue when turning a tag off.

1 Like

Yeppers. I tend to agree with the previous assertion offered by @RLGL.

I wonder if folks here might be willing to indulge in a game of make-believe? I’m working on a concept to borrow the workflow patterns offered by the Paint Bucket tool and the desktop app’s Classifier tool, and apply those patterns to a new Tags tool.
Specifically:
One workflow might look like this: Click the Tags tool in the toolbar, select a tag from the Tags panel, go click on stuff in the model to assign the selected tag to that stuff.
Another workflow might look like this: Open Tags panel, select a tag, Tags tool is automatically activated so that you can go click on stuff to assign the selected tag.
Keyboard modifier options might include options that are similar to Paint Bucket/Classifier, e.g. one of the modifiers might offer the option to Sample the tag from Object A (to then go assign that tag to Object B), another option might offer the option to remove all tags from an object (plus all of the entities contained within that object), another option might offer the ability to assign Tag B to everything in the model that had Tag A assigned… or whatever else might be useful.

Thoughts? Would something like that be useful?

2 Likes

Sounds useful, I would add the ability to untag and untag contents. First removes the tag from the selection, second removes whatever tags have been assigned to the geometry within the groups or components selected leaving the tags assigned to the G/C…

1 Like

Following the materials analogy, Untagged could be renamed to Default Tag.

1 Like

There could be some consistency since the rename of layers. Personally, I like the classification tool icons:

cursor_classifiable_all Classify All
Classifies the definition of a component, whereas a single tag:
cursor_classifiable makes the component unique and applies the classification
cursor_classifiable_remove_all Remove all simply removes everything

Tag All Tag all components

Visibility tag Tag this instance!

remove tags Remove all Tags (could be the same?)

Perhaps the Tags toolbar might also be put to use. Select a tag from the dropdown menu and start “painting”.

I am also having the same issue that DanielLoczi had. I cannot see the pencil icon that allows the user to select a tag and edit it. This was working a month or two ago when I made my designs and now I cannot select tags to edit.

Very frustrating.

I am SketchUp beginner and I cannot access Tags at all. When I click the “Tags” icon on the right, the window appears telling me that “After upgrading you can use tag folders and assign dash patterns to tags”. I don’t need that. But I see no interface for creating tags at all. When I click on upgrade, I see the benefits of paid subscription but there are no “tags” mentioned on that page either.

Oh, got it. I have to cklick “Cancel”, only then the Tags menu appears!

It’s a modeller, the idea is to model parts (walls, floors,doors etc.) than group them (select all the edges and faces you have drawn, rightclick on that selection and choose ‘Make Group’ or ‘Make Component’ )
Those objects can be tagged.

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.