Unable to edit a component even after exploding it

This is what I downloaded, I have not tried to edit as you show but, it appears there are some issues with hidden geo., especially edges I need to spend some time looking at.
Brian, can you now post your total model if what I show is what you intended to post?

I’ll be interested if you find anything. I don’t see any hidden geometry at all. There are only two layers, and they’re both visible.

Now, there is one situation where a face is split across layers from its edges (that is, one and only one face is alone on one of the two layers. Everything else is on Layer0. Nothing conspicuously weird has happened as a result (yet).

-Gully

<slaps self on head>

But that’s because it’s a tiny piece of the original, which is acting weird, and the symptoms sound just like a whole bunch of edges separated from their associated faces across layers.

Probably should have occurred to me earlier.

@BrianMH255, you must read this, and believe it’s true:

[Does SketchUp support layers?][1]

-Gully
[1]: http://help.sketchup.com/en/article/38572

Brian, Sorry to say IMHO think you have a number of model issue, it is 188+ ft from orgin and normally I would not expect that to cause problems but I did have a couple of issue that was not acting as expected so just moved it for what is shown following.
Suggestions: I never use fractional units for modeling cause IMHO think it is too easy to make small errors especially if you have snapping enabled which you do=> change to decimal, no snapping and make sure you use inferencing or VCB when entering values. See below the small errors. You also have some off axis cases that are small but not preventing face affecting face formation but probably causing you problems. Make sure you help your self by

moving axis to align with model when drawing a skewed item. Keep entity info open while drawing and watch it , see this link info on what it can help you with. Texturing a component vs. its faces inside | SketchUcation
Think you probably have other issues but would like to see the real model :smiling_imp:

Many thanks to Gully Dan and Mac for the time they have given to this. I have watched the video and read the section on texturing and learnt stuff I was not aware of. Have now posted the full model which does in fact have a lot of problems and would value further comments.Full model referred to in posts above

Share settings?

ApologiesThis is the link - forgot to OK access

Hmm… Where to begin?
To me it seem the root of the problem is modeling technique.

Style
The model was sluggish when opened.
Save the unnecessary eye candy for presentation.
Choose one of the Fast Styles for building the model.

Also see … How do I make SketchUp run faster? — SketchUp Sage Site

Neatness
Neatness counts in a SketchUp model.
Clutter creates confusion. Stray geometry creates havoc.
Using the Hide command tends to compound the issue.
Clean up stray edges as you model and leave not a speck of raw (ungrouped) geometry behind.

Model Position
Right-click on one of the Drawing Axes > Reset
(Do this in empty space away from any other entity)
Notice the model is some 23 feet below the ground plane.

Overzealous Grouping
Keep it simple.
One Component or Group ‘container’ is sufficient to isolate geometry.
Repetitive nesting of groups within groups creates clutter, confusion and slows the application.

Layers
Sixty-three layers is overkill in such a simple model.
Two to four would most likely suffice.
Learn this method of controlling visibility while modeling…

The perils of Imported Components
Click … Window > Outliner > Details (little blue arrow icon) > Expand All
There, you’ll see why your diminutive model (onscreen) is a ponderous 28MB file.
See this advice…

1 Like

Thanks very much for your comments Geo. Will get to work on that and see if that solves the problem. At the moment it is unusable without the draw (pencil) tool so I just might have to start from scratch (again!)
Will let you know how I get on.

Brian I have no problem with pencil nor sluggishness. My guess is you are use to working with cad models and SU has some basic differences;
It does not use layer for geometry isolation but rather components or groups, I would suggest use of components if at all possible. Their basic definition is invariant when scaling, moving, rotation so they inherently help keep model size smaller. ;
Layers are used to control visibility of those, You can help keep loading of the graphical processor low by using the monochrome rendering mode during all you modeling effort and use shading and textures only for show/ tell those sorts of things; Materials contribute to MB’s a lots also so you can try a model with all it deleted, copy of course and then add back in. I have not tried that yet; Make sure you have you graphics process or enabled ( card) it enabled. Fill out you profile so we know you back ground, hardware etc.
I did purge on your model and tried to put some the text, dimensions etc as component on layer and turned off to help some with visibility and size down to 5 MB hope that helps> you do not need pencile for some of those action so give it a try and see if helps or do more

BTW a major issue. Have noted at least one component has primitive geometry on layer other than 0, ie R-sidewall part of pump house. This is a major do not do for SU. Have not checked others but if done once probably more??

Brian< if you are still having pencil problems suggest you turn off ground in the styles menu;
Reason the model drawn under ground & if its turned on it maybe giving you problems. At first blush it looks like some entities are drawn slightly under others not. I need little more time with the model to see if I can easily correct. :smiling_imp:

Brian
Check this mod to your model and see if pencil problem is still there. I took a shot gun approach, exploded number groups to then delete layers to try and get all geo on layer zero, then made just a few layers all geo back to layer zero. The moved model up to 0 elevation it was 23 ’ below ground. Even then some items showed below ground. Have not corrected model 100% in that area yet. I cannot duplicate your problem but if last posted model is not 100% same as one with problem it may. I started converting the sprinklers to components, one for each spray degs ( 90, 180, 270 etc) the scale for distance but not finished. If this does not fix problem make sure you have ground turned of in styles.
Do you know how model got below ground??

Good Luck