Todd's toys

Work in Progress. I’ve skipped a couple small pieces just so I could progress to the part where I put on the fenders/wheel well bricks.

.<
Hopefully tomorrow will be more productive.

3 Likes

Moving right along. Today I had a fun shape that i rather enjoyed making. I think it’s probably usually an axe head for fantasy sets, but in the Senna it’s used as a head light. Wicked.
I modeled 1/4th of it and then mirrored it twice to get the final part. I also removed all internal faces and lines so it ended up solid.

As you can see, I like the tape measure/guides tool.
=]
In the set that part sits neatly on a special part, while it rests at an angle between other plates and wedge bricks. Pretty nifty design.

2 Likes

I made it to step 51 in the instructions…
except for the windshields. Probably saving those for tomorrow.
22 more steps to go…

2 Likes

Quick updates. Had 1 tricky part but i figured it out.

2 Likes

Todays progress - only a few parts left to model!

2 Likes

Completed!
While i’m not 100% satisfied with a few parts, I am calling it done.

1 Like

The canopies/windshields were an interesting challenge. I could just move faces on the angular one, but I hand-stitched the main curved screen with a lot of planned arcs and line tool work. I’m really happy with the result.

1 Like

This was a fun piece. Used as tail lights.

1 Like

Ready for a spin!

7 Likes

Sneek peek preview of my next build…

1 Like

Super happy with how this part turned out.
Solid Tools expired on my 2017 Make version, so i figured out a combination of push-pulling a set of arcs, using follow-me to move a triangle face down an extended arc, and then explode/join the groups. Clean-up wasn’t too bad either.
I’m getting faster at these odd pieces!

2 Likes

I felt very productive today. A few parts left to model to complete the bike - then to work on texturing minifigs…
and new helmets…
and (ugh) hair…

2 Likes

Finished the Blue Lightcycle!
Hopefully it won’t take long to make the orange one…
;]

1 Like

Bikes done!
This week I’ll get started on Minifig textures.
And helmets.
And (double ugh) Hair.

2 Likes

EDIT - made a better themed grid.

4 Likes

I thought i’d just make this one new element…and it turned in to 18 new pieces and 1/2 a new car…
I might be addicted…

1 Like

This is a pretty crazy build. Some day I will have to get the real set - looks like a lot of fun to put together.

3 Likes

Experimenting with hair and helmet modeling.

1 Like

So, it this virtual only, or are you going to 3D print custom pieces and assemble real world kits?

Virtual only. Probably no 3d printer in my immediate future.
I’ve wanted to do something in 3d software for a long time now and I finally just sat down and dove in to it. Lego and Sketchup have a really great synergy - there are a huge variety of shapes to figure out, and Lego has math “rules” that mean you can model bricks and elements in the software by drawing off of other bricks - which works really well with Sketchup’s inference engine.

So right now I’m resume and portfolio building.

2 Likes