This does not appear to be a Sketchup model - SOS

Please help! I know the file is big, but I’ve spent so many hours on this! It just won’t open and I don’t understand why. It was saved on my desktop as a skp. file. Not even the backup file works.

https://we.tl/t-nePBoirHLM

The file contains only zeros. Can not be recovered. :frowning:

What version of SketchUp are you really using? There is no Free Plan of SketchUp 2024 as you indicate in your forum profile.

the 7 day trial version 2024

That’s not a Free Plan. It would still be SketchUp Pro.

Unfortunately, as @dezmo indicated, there’s nothing but zeroes in the file you shared. Did you have a computer crash or some other event?

I just saved the file before turning off the PC. Nothing abnormal

Hi @lemeur89, thanks for sharing the file in your post and sorry to hear that you are having difficulty opening it. An unfortunate fact of life is that sometimes a file will become corrupt. Sometimes it will have an obvious cause and other times it will feel like it was random.

As stated by DaveR, the file is not recoverable. If you can share the .skb we might have more luck with that but it is not likely. Do you have a older version of the file saved somewhere that you can access? If so, that might be your best bet to recover at least part of your work.

I always try and not only save multiple versions of my work, but also to back up my files to at least 2 or 3 different physical locations and put a version on a google drive or Trimble connect too just in case something goes horribly wrong. It sometimes feels like a waste of time but it has also saved me from having to redo a lot of projects over the years I have been using SketchUp.

To where did you save it?

saved in it under documents.

thanks all for the help. I’m already remodeling.

Since you are using the free triial I presume you are just testing SketchUp per the EULA. When you purchase the subscription you will get unlimited file storage on Trimble Connect. Then, in addition to saving locally, save a copy to Trimble Connect as a backup. That gives you an option if one of them is damaged.

Also make sure SketchUp has completed the save correctly before shutting SketchUp or your computer down.

Please correct your forum profile, too. That helps us help you.