"This does not appear to be a Sketch up model" after auto update

I am on a 7 day free trial of Sketch up Pro. I am learning to use the program for the first time and following tutorials. After saving my model I walked away for a short time. When I returned Sketch up had done an update which I thought was odd since I have only had it for a day. After restarting and attempting to open my file I got an error “This does not appear to be a sketch up model” I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times with no change. Please help, I realize I am new to the program but this is not a great start.

The Baker Lodge.skp (1.5 MB)

SketchUp Pro doesn’t do automatic updates. Where were you saving the file as you were working on it? Unfortunately the file you shared appears to be mostly zeros. Do you have the .skb backup file? Can you share that?

That’s strange, sketchup doesn’t update automatically, it tells you that there is an update available and it requires to close the program to be able to install it, it doesn’t open automatically after an update.
Is the file saved on an external device or a cloud platform?

I was saving the file to an ssd drive within my computer. Unfortunately I couldn’t find any .skb files apparently they were not created. I found the folder where they should be and it was empty. When I returned after stepping away there was a pop up saying something to the effect of sketch up is updating and I clicked yes, I didn’t think to not follow a request to update.

I have a local drive which holds my program files and a ssd which I keep my project files on. I have been doing this for years with Adobe Suite and done the same with CAD and never had a problem. Just checking to see if this could have been the issue. I was reading the location of the saved file can cause issues. I know there’s a strong chance my project could be gone but I am trying to figure out what caused this so to avoid doing it again. I have been reading many people with similar issues with no clear common thread to follow to a resolution or cause that I could tell.

There are lots of people who are working directly from the cloud, network drives and external drives who have had a corrupted model. So that’s why @francisquitof was asking you…
It’s is recomended that you only work on files from, and save them to a local drive. If you want to use the cloud or network-drive download the file to your local drive first before opening the file and after saving it there you can upload or sync to the cloud.
I know this is not applicable for your case but wanted to clarify…

I have two internal storage devices in my pc as well and I haven’t had any issue so far. Most of the cases of corrupted files are because of saving and working directly from a cloud service or an external device, but corrupted components from the 3DWH can also get your file corrupted, in most of the cases sketchup deletes automatically this corrupted elements but I think that if there are too many corrupted components it can get your file completely corrupted, it’s just a presumption, Trimble developers don’t know exactly all the things that cause corruption of the files.

Thank you. This is great information! I did have 2 components in there that I found in the 3D warehouse. I had no idea those files could be corrupt. I assumed they would be solid to use if I found them in a Sketch up affiliated space. Again I am only 3 days into my first time trying Sketch Up. Is there anyway to check the components before using them?

Thank you this is all good to know if I am working with this program moving forward.

To help achieve your goals, some time spent at the SketchUp Campus and at the SketchUp - YouTube channel will be very worthwhile. Both sites are from the SketchUp team. On the YouTube channel, pay attention to the Square One Series and Level UP series. They cover the basics for each tool.

1 Like

Thank you. I will take a look.