The usual complaint ... again

Hi Aaron. Sorry to add in another comment so late. All this talk of asking for AutoCad is not whats being asked for. Rather than “The Donley Method” ( no linework at all, and all fills blended together in a conjoined mush to get a section at the cut only without objects in the distance ), Why cant layout and sketchup draw a section at the cut only without showing objects in the distance. I cant see why thats such a big ask. Sketchup and layout can already, (1) draw a section at the section plan with linework that we can set colour thickness of, (2) fill the solids with a colour we can choose in settings, ( 3 ) but then shows it objects in the distance that we dont want in documentation sections. 2 out of three aspects it can already do, why is the 3rd ability to draw at the cut and not see the distance so hard to achieve? By just have an option not to show objects in the distance we could easily get simple section like attached ( even if fill has to be one colour ), which only work because we cant see in the distance, and need the linework as well as the fill so we can see where items split, door from shadowline, wall from door jamb etc which despite comments saying you dont show that detail on drawings, you do at 1=50. Just asking for one change, ability to turn off sctions showing items in the distance ( fog as a workaround doesnt manage it )

Have you seen this thread…?

Might have been touched on in this thread but I can’t be bothered to look through it!

FYI, the “Donley Method”. Does not result in just a fill. Everything has an outline.

This 100%. I don’t even bother with Layout other than to move line work to AutoCAD.

Ouch! That process is painfully slow. I don’t know how you folks can go backwards like that. It’s so much faster using Layout.

I don’t find it slow at all. Set up the scenes, export to layout, make a page for each scene and export to dxf. Once I’m in auto cad it’s just a little clean up and some annotations, dims and line weights. Plus all the other industry folk I work with accept and use dwg.

I did this same process a decade ago, and it is no where near the speed I can produce plans in LO. I have zero issues coordinating with consultants.

I did 9 custom homes in 9 months with CD sets between 75-130 sheets each. I could never get that done in ACAD with that method.

If you have a way to do it faster, all the more power to you!

1 Like