Textures only showing as solid colours?!?

I don’t think its the image as I have tried with multiple images and still no luck

I do upload texture I want to use in the one that is shaded?

I am used to using sketch 2016 so this new materials box has me confused

Also thank you all for replying!

This was my last resort as I have a major presentation due for a client and didn’t think anyone would reply on these forums :slight_smile:

Let’s explore that statement a bit more to get a better handle on when the transition from image to plain color occurs. Do you mean that if you add the texture image to the model and look at it before applying it to anything, the materials editor shows image features in the little sample tile rather than plain brown? Or does it look ok at first and then somehow transmute when applied? In the model you uploaded, there is no image underlying “Material43”.

It shows an example fine,

It just when I apply it to any part of the model it changes to a default colour

Maybe I am not uploading it in the correct area?

I am selecting the paint bucket
Then selecting the ‘sunset’ button
Then clicking the ‘setting’ button
Selecting my image
Then it looks fine in the example but once applied it a solid colour :expressionless:

Do you import the image file as a material ?
There are options relating to image importation…

There is no material in your model named “17050_Albany_080 2”
You are just looking at it in the Color browser on the MAC it’s different from a PC !

Try importing the image file as a material rather than doing it within the Color browser dialog…

1 Like

OH MY GOODNESS…

I AM UPLOADING IT IN THE WRONG PLACE AND HAVE JUST FIGURED IT OUT!

I have never felt so stupid…

Thank you all anyway for your help! Ignore my blonde moment and I can now get to sleep as it is 1am :slight_smile: haha

THANKYOU!! :slight_smile:

Figured it out…

As a separate suggestions, here are some other ways you could improve your model.

The model has a large number of edges and faces that are associated with layers other than layer0. To avoid various incredibly confusing issues downstream, edges and faces should always associate only with layer0. Only “collection” things such as Components and Groups, and “non-geometry” things like dimensions, text, and images should use layers other than layer0. There are various extensions such as TIG’s Layer Watcher that can both fix this situation and help you avoid it in the future.

Looking at Model Info->statistics, you already have 173487 edges and 110366 faces in the model. It’s ok so far (at least on my computer), but large numbers of edges and faces will eventually make SU sluggish. So it is always worth looking at where the edges and faces are coming from and whether simpler objects would suffice. The answer depends, of course, on what you are going to do with the model. It’s a tradeoff you should be aware of, as sluggish response can be very annoying while building your model.

You have some very “heavy” components in the model that you probably got from the 3D Warehouse. They look nice, but it is worth pondering whether they are excessively detailed, as they are contributing large numbers of edges and faces to the model. This is a very common issue with models from the 3D Warehouse: their creator was often more concerned with standalone fidelity than with impact when they are used in a SketchUp model.

Examples of “heavy” components in your model:

The bathtub contains 57382 edges and 38221faces
The vase on the vanity contains 52937 edges and 35145 faces
The bottles on the shelf each contain 19308 edges and 12324 faces
The dangling thing above the vanity (lamp?) contains 12960 edges and 6345 faces
The tub faucet contains 6980 edges and 3799 faces
The sink faucet contains 2856 edges and 1418 faces
The showerhead contains 914 edges and 435 faces

1 Like

For others who may be reading this topic, this was the clue. The Mac materials (aka “color”) window looks like this at the top:

The first four icon buttons were inherited straight from the Mac OS color chooser. They all function to add pure-color materials to a model, just via different ways to specify the color. The one that looks like a “sunset” (third from left) will extract an average color from an image. But it does not create a SketchUp texture material that later displays the image! For that you need to use the fifth icon (the one that looks like a brick - though to many people it looks like an eraser!).

1 Like