SU Pro 2021 Bug Splat Crash Windows 10

I have an issue with bug splat crashes every time I go to open a file. I am currently using the free trial version, but will most likely purchase the subscription if this issue can be resolved. I have already uninstalled it and re-installed it and I still have the same issue.

When you installed and reinstalled did you right click on the installer and choose Run as administrator?

Is it splatting on start up? Go to the GPU manufacturer’s site, get, and install their latest graphics drivers for your graphics card.

As Dave is suggesting, I looked at your bugsplats and they do look like a graphics card issue. Can you get to the welcome screen ok, and if so, do you see a crash when both starting a new document and opening an existing one? What is your monitor arrangement?

It crashes on both opening a file or creating a new one. I have (3) monitors, 2 are plugged into the AMD graphics card the other is the general PC graphics card.

Unplug the monitor from the on-board graphics and just run the 2 from the AMD card and see what happens.

So this actually worked, I unplugged the on-board monitor and SU opened right up…so strange

1 Like

I’ve seen this before so I thought you might want to try it. Not sure why running the onboard video and a card at the same time doesn’t always work but it’s a easy one to check. Glad you got it going.

I’m come across a number of users with this issue over the last few weeks : Displaylink USB adapters that don’t support OpenGL. There must be some kind of behaviour change in Windows or with the NVidia drivers I’m seeing paired up with them that is upsetting SketchUp and causes the crash.

Hi Colin,

I’ve just bought 40 seats of Sketchup Pro 2021, I’m geting the same Bug Splat with no report details as everyone else. I’ve found that the issue only occurs when our devices are connected to docks. If I disconnect the device from the dock Sketch Up Pro loads fine. I’ve updated the dock drivers on our devices and updated the graphics drivers on our devices to no avail. Sketchup Pro 2021 simply will not work on docks however Sketchup Pro 2020 worked fine!

Check to see if there is a relationship between the crashing and which screen the SketchUp welcome screen and document window appears on. For example, if both the welcome screen and the document window are opened on the main monitor, does a crash happen?

For docking station related crashes my theory is that something is going wrong if the welcome screen opens ok on one monitor, but then the document window is being asked to open on the other monitor, and that something is being misread by SketchUp, making it think it’s still working with the first GPU it was given.

Hi Colin,

When I click on SketchUp the bug splat is on the main monitor. It never gets to the welcome screen and just goes straight to bug splat.

Is there any change if you right-click and run SketchUp as admin? I mean SketchUp itself, not the installer.

Have you also tried updating the dock firmware, and, perhaps, the laptop firmware too?
Any specific computer/dock model? Previously some Dell laptop users have posted here about having to disable the integrated Intel graphics totally to make SketchUp work.

The issue is that the Dock drivers don’t support OpenGL (the chips are mostly DisplayLink).
According to Displaylink it’s actually an issue with the intel integrated GPU driver , which even the discrete graphics card will be routed through.

It depends on the dock model. I have had success with a HP Thunderbolt dock, but earlier models I have tried have all had this problem.

Yes I suppose it would do, certainly any displaylink USB based ones have caused our users daily pains.

The thunderbolt ones I suspect use a different interface to get a picture on screen , so perhaps that causes less of an issue. I’ve never seen this problem on a non-intel machine or on a machine without an onboard GPU. It’s always laptops and small form factor devices.

I have two toshiba dynadocks that use displaylink and USB and work perfectly with all my various low and mid range machines. Some with dedicated nvidea some only intel.
Never had any issues running up to 5 screens. Lots of wood touching going on here as I risk writing this.

Grip that wood tight!

I’ve probably dealt with 30+ users with this issue in the last few months and there are a series of things they all have in common. They always have an intel GPU + an Nvidia/AMD card and some kind of dock/USB adapter.
My own one was ok, but was firmware updatable, so perhaps it’s a hardware issue for certain chipsets/older revisions

Workarounds:
Disable the onboard GPU to force it all onto the nvidia/amd card (although say goodbye to battery life)
Don’t use a dock/USB : connect directly via HDMI
Set the laptop display in the windows setting as the primary display.

It’s similar to what used to happen with the windows/nvidia GPU switching error that used to cause the hardware acceleration error - but persistant, even when asking windows to use only the high performance one.

p.s. I LOVE your Gifs

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.