SU 2021 - redundant styles and unable to save styles

this is two problems:

1. when you click on the same style from the style selection, and that is in the model already, it creates (or appears to) another style entry of the same name etc. not even an appended 1 or 2. a variant on this: if your style is located in the styles folder and not the sub-folder (say) “default styles”, it DOESN’T create the second entry, but selecting from the sub-folder it does. so somewhere something is thinking they’re different styles depending on which directory you load them from…
    Clipboard01 Clipboard02 Clipboard03
  2. right clicking on a style, selecting save as… and then picking a directory, pressing save, and viola! no style file to be found, and refreshing the selection lists confirms, no file. no errors. nada. in 2020 this was more random but with enough tries it eventually would save the file so long as it was outside the styles folder… my guess, some folder handle is opened and is handling events so it thinks it’s written or simples eats an exception thrown…

I’m not seeing the duplicated style in the In Model collection unless the first version of it has been modified. Then it sort of appears there’s a duplicate but they are different.
styles

As for the saved style thing, where are you trying to save the style to? It works fine for me when I save the style to one of my own Styles collection. With proper permissions granted, you could save to an OEM Styles folder, too. I don’t do that because a reinstallation of Sketchup (if that is needed) might overwrite the OEM folder and I’d lose anything I added.

Thanks Dave! i have all the proper permissions as both a user and admin, so it’s definitely not that. also, it’s a brand new install of the 2021 pro and i noticed it only happens in 2021 (redundant) for the in model and select again. oddly enough it only maxes at the single redundant model entry and if i copy the style file into the top directory, then add it, and re-select, no redundancy, so somewhere the path source seems to be a part of the determination that it is a different style since both files (and i’ve check the underlying xml etc files) are identical…
the saving thing - that’s been happening since 2020 and i’m not sure what’s causing it and i’m not getting any errors which means if it were a permission thing, i’d expect an error message, so something it tricking it into thinking it wrote it, or the errors are being consumed in some catch segment of code…

When you save a Style where do you think it should go ?
Where are your Styles set to go it the SketchUp > Window > Preferences > Files section ?
If the paths were copied from an earlier SketchUp version they might not be going where you expect ??
Check your Files’ paths in Preferences…

On the permissions issue, it's not about your user-account having admin-powers, it's about installing SketchUp from the installer's exe file in Downloads by right-clicking its icon - context-menu > "Run as administrator"

If you simply “Run” it - e.g. by double-clicking the installer’s exe file’s icon it’s not the same thing…

Because it’s already installed, if you repeat the proper process as outlined above you’ll get a “Repair” option this will reset properties correctly…

1 Like

Thanks TIG! i always run my installs as “run as administrator” to ensure everything is where it should be in the file systems and registry, as well as permissions. i seldom ever edit permissions (except for VST directories where i have SynthEdit VST because they need user permission to write files… not applicable here in SU land…)

anyways i figured out that it’s not permissions - it’s the internal XML time stamps that dictate if the file can be overwritten - as i (mistakenly) noted in another thread, this “safety feature” is counter-intuitive without some messages or other tips. and doesn’t actually require “intent” to overwrite other files…

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.