So, the expected other shoe drops. Classic license is discontinued?

with the free SketchUp Viewer.

you seem mighty sure that will even be available in a decade

probaly because it’s available to download from lots of websites already.

You can keep and use your current 2020 Pro License.

However, what happens when you have to buy a new computer? You wont be able to install your current Pro Licenses for 2020 or previous versions. How will people who test, troubleshoot, support users, participate in forums be able to continue providing this service for older versions?

Also, for extension developers, consider their need to support their customer’s who are running older versions. What will happen to their existing revenue source?

If a version is active, you can move it anywhere. I still have an old active version 8 (That was Windows only, btw) I always remove it, to try on different machines…

1 Like

@ Mike:
Can explain? I thought you had to have the installer.exe for a particular version available locally.

Of course, you would need the installer file (I keep a copy on Trimble Connect :slight_smile:

No one from Trimble is listening, so let’s all boycott the sub, and keep on with the relatively functional version we have for 3-5 years until the software no longer works on our hardware.

4 or 5 years of reduced maintenance revenue for Trimble will send a clear message.

I remember the last big uproar, SketchUp at first had a few persons engaging and commenting on a couple of gripes & queries, but it tapered off rather quick and in the end there was very little input from them on the issue (-s), almost none, until things blew over at that time.

Things seem to be going much the same way right now. If I were a betting man…

I hate to be the one to point this out, but there’s only one round of M+S left, by design, so they’re prepared for that. I’m sure they’re betting on a good number of perpetual licences converting though.

Maybe you’re right. But i was in a rather feeble way trying to cause a revolution.
If we all boycott the subscription…
…that is everyone who is allowed to by their company etc.

The way things are now, even that can be cut off. I downloaded the installer for Mojave a while ago (I don’t want Catalina), but now that I want to run it, it won’t work as apparently a certificate has expired?

I’ve held on to CS6 for as long as possible, but that became problematic, mostly because of Lightroom and current manufacture cameras. I need a Lightroom killer. If CS6 is 32 bit, Catalina will kill that. I also don’t really want Java on my machine anymore.

I have the windows version of Design Standard, so no Lightroom.
The windows version includes the 64bit versions. Switching to a 4K screen would be problematic, because there is no UI scaling in CS6.
I am also using/trying the affinity suite, it’s great for it’s pricepoint and the iPad versions are really great. But Affinity Designer is not a substitute for Illustrator in my case.

One other thing to know about CS6, it’s likely the apps won’t like APFS. Putting the application on an external HFS drive is a work around to that.

Interesting. I guess I hadn’t even stumbled on that as this machine has Sierra on it, and the next machine with High Sierra, I hadn’t even tried to install CS6 on.

I’ve been running CS6 on High Sierra until very recently. All fine.

That’s too bad. I’m looking at their apps as well. While I used to use Illustrator a lot in the early years, I don’t actually use it that much anymore. My CAD program, PowerCADD, is so similar to Illustrator that I mostly just use it for those tasks, like this poster design:

Such a poster design can easily be made in Affinity Designer.
I personally use Live Paint regularly, there isn’t a similar tool in Designer.

I would guess that you could get by with the free Inkscape too

“But Affinity Designer is not a substitute for Illustrator in my case”

But they have a new product in their portfolio: Affinity Publisher. As far as I know, this is comparable to Illustrator.