Sketchup crashes every few minutes

If V-Ray doesn’t work in 32-bits, there’s no other way to fix my problem? Only downloading 32-bits? 'cause my notebook it’s 64 bits, there’s no way?

Even though your laptop has a 64-bit OS, the 32 bit version of SU will perform well on it.

Yes, but V-Ray won’t!

There are other rendering applications that would work.

I believe you have to try the 3.4 beta for use in SketchUp 2017. There is an open beta sign up for 3.4 available on the V-ray website.

V-Ray for SketchUp has been compatible with 64bit SU for a while now. You don’t even need the beta for that.

Well, this happens every time I hide some piece of geometry. Whether I save the file or not, and this has happened several times over the course of this month. I would go to hide the edge of a circle in, say, the headlight of the locomotive and bam, as soon as I let go of the mouse, it crashes. Doesn’t matter where or when I do this, it crashes if you don’t quit SketchUp for about 24 hours, it crashes for even the stupidest things, especially you go to open a crashed file, and you move your mouse, and the file crashes. How can I fix this, and can someone write an extension where if SketchUp is going to crash, it disables the command at that moment??

Thank you for contributing - Autosave was the cause of my frequent (every 5 minutes) crashing. All is well now. Mac OS 10.11 - Sketchup 2017.

I don’t think there is a problem with autosave, It is not good to disable it unless you are religious about saving your work regularly. SU does crash for other reasons. If disabling autosave worked, look for an addon that is the actual culprit.

Thank you for the information.

I am an absolute newbie. I am a Jr. High teacher who was just informed
that I will be teaching sketchup next school year, so I am starting to
learn/use it.

I have not added anything (ie add-ons) except warehouse items. I use the
same program on my Mac at home and have no problem. My newer, more
powerful, school Mac just kept crashing every few minutes.

It turns out turning off auto-save has helped but not solved the problem.
I still periodically crash. Usually when I am navigating or moving objects
to other locations.

I am an “oldie” with computers. I purchased my first IBM PC in 1983 and
saving is ingrained. However, my students use Google Docs and really have
no clue about saving, so your advice about not turning off auto save has
merit.

Thank you again for your help,

Leandra

Are you running the same OS version on both? And are both updated to the latest SU maintenance release and OS version within the release you are using? You report using OS X 10.11.6 in your profile which is the latest El Capitan. Does the school Mac use Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra, or an older version of OS X?

SU 2017 isn’t supported on OS X before Yosemite, and was reportedly a little flakey on Sierra until the most recent releases of Sierra and SU 2017.

I’m wondering why one of your computers is now more-or-less stable, and the other isn’t.

I also wonder if some of your downloaded Warehouse components are overloading or crashing the system - many of them are vastly over-detailed for almost any purpose, and some have corrupted elements in their file. General advice here on this forum from the Sages is to download and open a Warehouse model into a new file, and check its size, level of detail, and how it is modelled (for example, using named and suitably nested components, or just vast amounts of loose geometry) before incorporating it into your own model.

I also wonder if you might be better off using SU 2016 - the symptoms you describe could also be attributable to inadequate graphics drivers, and they come with the OS on Mac. SU 2016 is much less demanding of the OpenGL implementation level and quality , whereas SU 2017 requires OpenGL v3.0 or higher, AND uses more of its features, not all of which are well supported in the drivers.

1 Like

Are you saving to your computer’s own hard drive on both computers?

This is what makes me think it might the OpenGl implementation that’s causing problems - it’s trying to update the screen when you move, or redraw the view by orbiting or zooming.

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time for helping me (everyone). My
home computer is at least 5 years old and is running Sierra. I use it to
learn the next OS before I have to teach with it. I do not know where it
stands with open GI. (the home computer is working)

My school computer is about a year old and it runs El Capitan because my
entire lab is El Cap.

I am working with the same document from my hard drive on both computers.
When I am finish the day, I upload the file to my Google Drive. When I get
home, I download it - work on it - then upload when I am done to work on at
school the next day.

I do have *a lot *of Warehouse components. I have not been deleting them
as I go because I did not know if they would disappear from my materials
list. I have not downloaded components from anything but the build in
warehouse.

My school will be purchasing classroom access for next year. Perhaps I
should be considering having them purchase 2016 rather than 2017 ? IIf
that is possible. Is there a big difference?

Thank you again,

Leandra

Well, I’m running SU 2017 happily on a late 2015 iMac 27" Retina 5K machine, El Capitan OS x 10.11.6, with built in AMD Radeon R395 2048MB graphics.

See if you can find out what the spec is of your school computers - hardware, particularly graphics adapter, and OS X version number in full (El Capitan is 10.11.x - what’s the ‘x’?). You may already know how, but just in case, click on the Apple icon in the top menu toolbar, and click About this Mac.

Is your school computer set up actually to save to its own local hard drive? Not a network drive?

Saving to a network drive can cause problems.

So can saving direct to a Dropbox or Google Drive folder, but you aren’t doing that, from what you say.

Where are you saving them? As components all in one model that you are constantly updating, or in separate files on your hard drive? The latter shouldn’t cause any problems.

The former might just, if your model is getting very large, even if you haven’t got any instances used in your current model. That could make it very slow to save, then you might have a problem if AutoSave is happening at the same time as a move, orbit, or zoom, or is just taking too long (which can be the problem if saving direct to a network or Cloud drive).

Look at ‘What’s new’ to see the differences - here:
https://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-pro/new-in-2017#whats-new-2017-anchor

Main improvements in use in SU that I have noticed (if you don’t have graphics hardware/driver problems, which many people have had) are extra inferencing and axis locking: Offset now makes true circle and arc offsets, rather than offset edges in a curve; and a better Rectangle tool with arrow keys locking the rectangle plane, and (even if you aren’t locking) rectangle edges highlighting in the colour of the axis perpendicular to the rectangle’s plane, if on-axis, while you are drawing it.

I hardly use Layout, so I don’t know what differences are apparent there.

I don’t know if any of this will help, but I’m grasping a bit at straws here.

1 Like

Hello Again,

Based on what you have told me, I believe my hardware is not the problem.
I have been loading my warehouse items directly into the project rather
than a specific folder. I will correct that first and see where I stand.

Thank you again for your time.

Regards,

Leandra

Hope you get to the bottom of your problem - it’s infuriating to have it happening constantly, unpredictably, and making you fearful of losing your hard work.

Leandra - did you turn off autosave?
When I had the problem it was autosave and a plugin not getting along. Usually it happened when I was moving things around. The plugin was fixed but occasionally it will still crash, and I haven’t pinned it down yet. But if it does it during a move I would bet that there is still an issue with autosave activating while something else, like a move, is happening. I think that is because a move takes a while to complete. Maybe autosave needs a little more control added as to when it is allowed to run. Just a guess.