Sketchup 2023 update is a big disappointment

Same here! Thanks for sharing your work flow! I bet this could get automated further. We try to use Layout as much as we can for our drawings but obviously sooner or later we need to export to. dwg for our consultants who still only work in CAD.

Please join the group I started (https://groups.google.com/g/sketchup-for-aec) so we can brainstorm solutions together.

1 Like

You can also share your model with measurements with a link on Trimble Connect or working on site with an iPad
This is an example

Let’s ask the question, why do we all use Sketchup?
Because it’s easy to use and fun to work with.

I own Revit LT 2015 because I was convinced I had to go for it back then in 2015… and I talked my colleagues into it. It was a huge mistake and we spent 3 x 1500 EUR on it unnecessarily… It’s still sitting in a drawer. None of us have been able to work in it more efficiently despite the Skechup+ Autocad combination, where there is quite a lot of “manual” work.

The BIM sofware robs us of time by figuring out how to plot what… instead we focus on the professional side of the design and the quality of the design itself, not on “fighting with Revit”…

If I wanted Sketchup to be a BIM, I’m just not going to wait for it. I’ll go straight to Archicad, or if I’m on my own, Archline XP.

It’s just still not worth it for me to leave Sketchup. It really doesn’t take that much for me to even consider this…

2 Likes

Have you tried to combine the same model with two different styles in Layout? One of them with sections and no faces and one with no sections but textures. It works for me.
This is a small example I’m working on with my students on a Sketchup & Layout course. (not finished yet… we are working on windows, walls and doors tags)

The answer is probably because they do not care - they obviously have other priorities. Otherwise they’d be actively involved with users about development and fixing bugs. Instead everyone just seems to be hiding behind “company policy”. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Hi, I watched your video. For information, Curic Section supports exporting not only polylines but also hatches by setting in Curic Material Dialog. Please watch my video at 33:50.

With these, you don’t need lisp in AutoCad anymore.

1 Like

I know about that. I know that video and I have studied it. But the exported hatches are not associative with polylines. And at the same time, we use our own hatching patterns in autocad according to the standards in our country. Not just the basic ones that come with AutoCAD and are integrated in plugin. My procedure provides me with significantly better results at the moment. I even intentionally created all the materials in the plugin so that they do not assign any hatches to the polylines when exporting to DXF.

I also wrote to developer about it a few months ago, but without a response. I think I wrote on e-mail and also on Facebook…

I was trying to somehow get our patterns into the plugin. I uploaded and replaced the source in the plugin folders (acad.pat and SketchUp\Plugins\curic_section\Resources\pattern_cad), but it didn’t work for me.

So I solved it using lisp

1 Like

I bought the curic section plugin, hoping it would help me with dwg´s, but could not get it to work. There’s no documentation I could find in English. Vietnamese is a cool language, but I´m not gonna learn it just for this :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could pm me, I’m willing to help. @Odd_Haakon_Byberg

1 Like

Really. Actually, I don’t know now :slight_smile: Those Curic plugins are from you. Do you program them?

No, I’m just a user like you, but Curic and I are friend, so I support him and he also teach me write some plugins with Ruby SketchUp.

Curic is still a student from Architecture University, Curic is “one man band” actually.

1 Like

Greetings from me. I found his plugins at the end of the year and I have to say they are among the best I have.

1 Like

And that he could at least react when his paying customer writes him an email with tips for improvement :wink:. But he’s really smart.

2 Likes

He may not have read your email.
I was watching a YouTuber chat about a dispute between a modder and a games developer. The modder was claiming copyright for a suggestion he made to the games developer, that was put into the game.
Same issue could go with your email if its incorporated into the plugin. You could end up demanding money from the plugin.

…except that I wrote to him that I was willing to pay more for his plugin if he would integrate it… :wink:

Is this any use – it’s in French :wink:

Curic section.pdf (148.3 KB)

Maybe you’ve come across it.

If I had time I’d recreate it in English

AR.02, AR.07…

Interesting – the sheet sizes are “non-standard”.

How does this go down with contractors, other consultants and statutory authorities?

1 Like

And we use the formats absolutely any way we want. The authorities have no problem with that. In 15 years, no problem…
what matters is the content

Do you issue the plans as paper or just PDF?

I have been a part of that game, the company I worked for moved to a computer system years back, spent a ton of money on software for the service, acccounting and parts end. The next alternative was twice as much. Well, the first expenditure turned out to be a bust after promised additions were not added after two years. The management at that point cut their losses and went with the high buck software. They are still with the high buck software some 25 years later. By the way way back when the software they have stuck with was 1K/mo.