Sketchup 2023 update is a big disappointment

All in paper.

Every documentation minimal 5x print

oh great, now SU2023 has even messed up loading the magic IFC_manager plugin that saved my bacon on a daily basis… !

this is the gobbledeegook that I get at startup - Error Loading File C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/loader.rb
Error: #<REXML::ParseException: #<NoMethodError: undefined method <<' for #<Sketchup::Set:0x000001e615b8a838>> C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/Tools/RubyStdLib/rexml/parsers/baseparser.rb:558:in parse_attributes’
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/Tools/RubyStdLib/rexml/parsers/baseparser.rb:378:in pull_event' C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/Tools/RubyStdLib/rexml/parsers/baseparser.rb:183:in pull’
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/Tools/RubyStdLib/rexml/parsers/treeparser.rb:23:in parse' C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/Tools/RubyStdLib/rexml/document.rb:288:in build’
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/Tools/RubyStdLib/rexml/document.rb:45:in initialize' C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/lib/skc_reader.rb:63:in new’
C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/lib/skc_reader.rb:63:in block in set_properties' C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/lib/rubyzip/zip/file.rb:124:in open’
C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/lib/skc_reader.rb:59:in set_properties' C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/lib/skc_reader.rb:49:in initialize’
C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/settings.rb:262:in new' C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/settings.rb:262:in block in read_classifications’
C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/settings.rb:260:in each_pair' C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/settings.rb:260:in read_classifications’
C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/settings.rb:171:in load_settings' C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/loader.rb:76:in module:IfcManager’
C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/loader.rb:30:in <module:BimTools>' C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/loader.rb:29:in <top (required)>’
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in require' C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in load’
C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager.rb:48:in register_extension' C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager.rb:48:in module:IfcManager’
C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager.rb:33:in <module:BimTools>' C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager.rb:30:in <top (required)>’

Exception parsing
Line: 2
Position: 394
Last 80 unconsumed characters:

C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/Tools/RubyStdLib/rexml/parsers/baseparser.rb:410:in rescue in pull_event' C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/Tools/RubyStdLib/rexml/parsers/baseparser.rb:332:in pull_event’
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/Tools/RubyStdLib/rexml/parsers/baseparser.rb:183:in pull' C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/Tools/RubyStdLib/rexml/parsers/treeparser.rb:23:in parse’
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/Tools/RubyStdLib/rexml/document.rb:288:in build' C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/Tools/RubyStdLib/rexml/document.rb:45:in initialize’
C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/lib/skc_reader.rb:63:in new' C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/lib/skc_reader.rb:63:in block in set_properties’
C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/lib/rubyzip/zip/file.rb:124:in open' C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/lib/skc_reader.rb:59:in set_properties’
C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/lib/skc_reader.rb:49:in initialize' C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/settings.rb:262:in new’
C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/settings.rb:262:in block in read_classifications' C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/settings.rb:260:in each_pair’
C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/settings.rb:260:in read_classifications' C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/settings.rb:171:in load_settings’
C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/loader.rb:76:in <module:IfcManager>' C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/loader.rb:30:in module:BimTools’
C:/Users/VIVARCHI/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Plugins/bt_ifcmanager/loader.rb:29:in <top (required)>' C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2023/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in require

So for the moment we’re staying with SU2022.

Well that’s not 2023s fault – unless I’m mistaken, looks like it’s a plugin issue.

Some cursory digging – perhaps the developer is having some issues (with Trimble)?

Is it this plugin:

Yes it is.
All I know is that in SU2022 it worked beautifully, I installed SU23 & wap wap wah, fail.
So what has Trimble changed ?
& if they’ve changed something radical, you’d think that they’d give developers a heads-up so that they can tweak their code to stay working… no ?
Is this not one of those permissions issues that pop up occasionally ?

Is the plugin actually not working?

I have a seemingly random issue where the Ruby error dialog pops up occasionally spewing a load of errors – I just dismiss the dialog.

As far as I know, the plugins I use routinely are working as expected.

Apparently brewsky - the dev - had issues with something. I know it because I did a quick google research and it gave me this result. I’m not a dev, nor an user of his extension, can’t tell you what it was. paul.mcalenan gave you the specific link to his issue.

Also found the Git page, last update is from last novembre. no wonder why it has issues with SU 2023.

Right now you’re having an issue with an extension, but you’re posting it in neither the “official” extension topic, nor the “extension” category of the forum. You might get actual answers and support by posting a link to your message (or the whole gobbledeegook) on the appropriate thread.

Yes, I can confirm that the plugin is not working…

Dan Rathbun chipped in here:

I’m not knowledgeable enough to comment, but Dan seems to be suggesting a way out of an issue that the plugin is suffering – whether it’s the one you’re having an issue with…?

Yup, that’s the one, but the extract you quote is a separate issue to do with the installer as far as I remember, and Trimble has indeed been tardy in giving feedback to help the dev.
As far as I can ascertain, the issue I’m experiencing is quite different.
Meantime, SU22 works fine with the plugin, so since SU2023 has not natively fixed the correct IFC hierarchy on export, we’ll just stay with last years version & given the overall lack of enthusiasm for SU23, doesn’t look as if we’re missing anything too amazing…

I’ve got it installed and I’m not having those issues when I start it up.

Did you transfer your plugin from 2022 or did you install it another way?

Have you got the latesst version instealled? :
https://github.com/BIM-Tools/SketchUp-IFC-Manager/releases/download/v4.3.1/bt_ifcmanager-4.3.1.rbz

Hi, I tried both methods (first a straight copy) then I re-downloaded the latest version from GITHUB & neither worked… :frowning:

Hi @paddyclown,
Best post issues with IFC manager here: https://forums.sketchup.com/t/sketchup-ifc-manager-extension/
You seem to run into this issue: Apparent problem with Sketchup 2023 · Issue #44 · BIM-Tools/SketchUp-IFC-Manager · GitHub
And yes the Sketchup team did give a heads-up, I encountered some issues with REXML it the alpha versions but I’m unable to reproduce is with the released version, not even on a completely fresh PC.
It seems to fail on loading the skc schema as a REXML document.

I will look into it…
Cheers… Jan

2 Likes

Could it be a conflict with some other extension?

Thanks Jan, you’re a star :slight_smile:

Mike Brightman’s toast to Layout…

6 Likes

What a disaster of a company…

3 Likes

Fantastic products though :+1:

1 Like

I am really starting to think that the people at SketchUp do not use SketchUp, nor Layout.
Anybody using those two software can pinpoint all the misusability of some tools after few hours, hence the huge frustration of not being heard.

15 Likes

Man that is EXACTLY, what I’ve been thinking for the longest time.

8 Likes

Exactly; those of us who create drawings need to remember that the guys on the ground are often not as tech savvy. They just need standard 2D drawings. Some of the older guys shy away from electronic devices - but their spatial ability can be mind blowing when it comes to problem solving. Different generations…