Sketchup 2023 update is a big disappointment

Trust me, I tried using Blender. My brain does not have the capacity to get around it, Sketchup’s more simple user interface works best for me, :sob:

Also, yeah, I’m aware Sketchup isn’t intended for it, but isn’t it great that you can use Sketchup in a way that it wasn’t intended for, and get actually good results? :slight_smile: That’s why I would hope for, in the future, more in-depth performance updates to allow Sketchup to handle more than what it’s capable now.

I don’t necessarily mean that in terms of features, but definitely mean it in terms of overall performance. Let Sketchup unlock the full potential of my CPU/GPU/RAM/whatever it has to in order to handle my hobbyist workloads :smiley:

3 Likes

If I have things that I want to isolate all to themselves in Layout I make a separate tag for each of them, like stair 1 to 4, so that in Layout its easy to override one stairs scene to get just one of them in the viewport. But Condoc does this, several tags applied per object. Haven’t tried it though.

1 Like

Sketchup is not a CAD, is built around a polygonal 3d core (I believe that I read somewere on Sketchucation that it was originally based on some old game engine).
By the way, by it’s nature could be more suited to create robots than to create a true circle. :sweat_smile:

There’s no reason why one should not do some serious freeform modeling out of it. Actually we already do (of course using a plugin army), and we could do it even better with a little more native support in some areas that would make possible to build even more powerful plugins.

http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=73991

3 Likes

a flip equivalent for older SketchUp version & Make 2017

Work in progress…
There is now each x, y, z planes and it work. Next step : move planes for more interactions…

2 Likes

The older versions will not be updated.

It is a great tool and it is awesome that you can use it for things like that. I agree with both you and @colin

Yep!

The extension warehouse needs to actually be a working STORE ie I pay for things using the store.
Then it’s so much easier to charge $2 or $10 for an extension, and developers will have way more incentive to update them, improve menus, icons, etc.

It’s an untapped resource.

2 Likes

it’s a ruby script, not an assumption of updating old versions. And it works on basic use after 1 or 2 hours of programming…

1 Like

Just for your information there are several Extension for mirroring already. Just three of them, here which is similar (or better) than the “native”:

Mirror | SketchUcation

s4u Mirror | SketchUp Extension Warehouse

Curic Mirror | SketchUp Extension Warehouse

Of course, I am not writing this to discourage you from writing your own mirror plugin. :wink:

3 Likes

Yes, I agree, the examples you show are good or even better than the major tool in this SU 2023 minor update.

As for the mirror script that I present, I am not discouraged, I devote practically no time to it. I have lost the habit of programming in Ruby or SketchUp APIs :rofl:

2 Likes

I believe you have missed his point. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I advise you to take out a subscription by committing to 10 years, it is a “mature” product.

1 Like

Perhaps … or you missed mine… :wink: :innocent: :peace_symbol:

2 Likes

I’m going to talk to the “author” of this “flip tool” script: it’s an artificial intelligence that programmed this script :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :upside_down_face:

1 Like

seriously? :joy:

seriously ! :rofl:

Would you like the script ? It’s basic for the moment, but it work on object. Of course, it could be improved and extended to options.

1 Like

Honestly, I believed that you were going to demonstrate that a single person can do that in his spare time and it’s not worth a “major upgrade”. :sweat_smile:
Well, maybe that was not your purpose, but you just demonstrated that anyway.

3 Likes

Why don’t we (the Pro users) organize a user group? Name a leader and then vote on priorities for new features and upgrades. Then present a case for a top 10 list to SU.

1 Like

See here and apply if you’d like to participate:

I created application form for those of you that would be willing to participate in a ‘think-tank’ group focus on SU improvements for AEC users.

Please apply here if you’d like to contribute: https://forms.gle/pAnR82BJoQFh5Q1R9

2 Likes

Exactly. If you want to do that, you are going to think carefully on how you do it with SketchUp: how to set layers, sections, scenes, layout view ports…

It’s not straightforward at all and in complex projects it becomes very complex work.

There are plugins that may help, of course, but it’s not seamless, even with those.