SketchUp 2020 has landed!

Oh, and one other minor tiny small stupidly small point…

Since I now have Versions 2017, 2018, and 2019 on my Laptop, and 2018 and 2019 on my iMac, can I edit the name of the Icon.

Sounds stupid I know, but the Mac displays them as simply ‘SketchUp’, so with more than one version, it’s hard to see which one is the current version.

I know, really minor point but just interested to see if I can rename them as ‘Sketchup 2020’ for example, rathe than just ‘Sketchup’.

Mike

1 Like

I think LayOut was introduced at the same time and had better use for the word Page, but ACT would explain why Scene of all phrases was chosen. In the specific context of stage design Scene makes sense to use for a saved view.

It’s the often these small things that are the most annoying, especially compared to the effort required to make an improvement!

SketchUp 2020 is the fisrt version on Windows where LayOut has a version number in its name in the start menu. :smiley:

2020-01-29_21h17_55

1 Like

I’m surprised at that DaveR, the SU video I linked was quite clear to me. As an architectural CADDER for many years, I too was a littel confused when I first started with SU-ver-5 on the SU LAYER structure. However, its just a case of ensuring everything is just drawn on LAYER-0 & then saving that VIEW to a new LAYER name.

That aside, the method still remains the same, so how does re-naming LAYERS to TAGS make this simpler to understand ? …Heck…now I’m confused… :slight_smile:

Except in SketchUp (pre-2020) nothing is on a layer. Layers are visibility properties given to components and groups.

It’s not a view that you are saving. You create objects (groups and components) which get layers, now tags assigned to them to control whether they are visible or not. Views are the scenes you create which show the different views of the model.

Hopefully the new users at least won’t carry over their preconceived ideas of layers to SketchUp. History has shown that many users have done just that and created problems for themselves by trying to make SketchUp’s layers act like they do in 2D programs. Without that word in SketchUp, I hope it’ll be easier to teach new users to leave the pencil icon set to Untagged and only tag components and groups while they leave edges and faces untagged.

From your description of how you understand Layers (Tags), Components, Groups, and Scenes, I can’t say I’m surprised that you are confused.

From my experience, I think many users make the whole layers/tags thing way more complicated than it really is. The concept is actually pretty simple if you leave your ideas of Layers from AutoCAD or Photoshop at the door.

When the switch was made to using .rbz files for extensions and the Install Extension button was added, people complained about that. Those people hadn’t spent years helping inept users get extensions from .zip files extracted and installed correctly so they’d work in SketchUp. They didn’t have to log into another user’s computer remotely and first fix the fact that user had renamed his C:\ drive to SketchUp and then hunt through the entire computer to find all of the multiple copies of files from a single extension and round them up before correctly installing the extension.

Since the introduction of the Install Extension button, the Extension Warehouse and the Sketchucation Plugin Store tool, I haven’t run into anyone that has accidentally named their C:\ drive SketchUp nor have I had to remote into their computer to properly install and extension.

2 Likes

I guess it’s a case, like most software programmes, to learn their own terminology, rather than substituting other generic words incorrectly that confuses people.

I’m not confused at all to how SU-PRO works with LAYERS, SCENES & GROUPS as you intimate, so not too pleased about how you phrased that.

Visibility = the state of being able to see or be seen. Simply put in this context…a VIEW.

I handle the multiple Sketchup versions conundrum by editing the icon under Get Info.

Select the app in the finder, hit Command I to get info, select the icon in the upper left with a single click (blue shading will appear around it) then paste in whatever you want. I copy the old one, paste it into a graphic editor, change the color, copy it again, and paste it back into to the Get Info window, instant version colors! You could write the year across the icon if you wanted.

I think I’ll make 2020 green.

5 Likes

That’s a brilliant Idea!

So I can copy and pasted the icon into Photoshop, change the colour, save as a PNG then paste back into Get Info?

Mike

Yup. But you must “copy” the image in photoshop, not save it. All icons are fully editable via copy/paste, so the image you want to paste must be loaded on your clipboard to add it to the get info window. :+1:

1 Like

Perfect! Thankyou.

First job in the morning :grinning:

1 Like

I’m surprised they didn’t take a page from Autodesk…Display Set. Probably couldn’t get passed having to use 2 words.

Hey don’t talk about scenes I like the name scene. They might get some crazy ideas and change that to. Ok just kidding!

what about animations? I use them for all my client presentations.

We will renaming them to cartoons. Sorry I just can’t stop. :smiley:

3 Likes

Good job for this year 2020!

I sincerely hope that Trimbel will make efforts to motivate extension developers and 3D modelers to produce for SketchUp 2020.
The success of SketchUp depends on Trimbel but it also depends on its community of enthusiasts.

2 Likes

p67ab

1 Like

Yeah, SCENES are now VIEWS apparently… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl::roll_eyes:

The orbiting and zooming in 2020 is so smooth that I feel like I’ve gotten a free SpaceMouse.

I was able to navigate the inside of an arced 1/8 inch tube easily. And clipping seems to have reduced enormously!

4 Likes

A view is much more than the visibility of a bunch of objects. The view also consists of a camera position, projection, fov, shadow settings, line thickness, face shading etc.