Setting up a complex walk through for a 3rd party to view; possible?

Now you’re talking. No one ever claimed that SU is an animator, and it’s not obvious where you got the idea that it is. If you’re smart, you’ll find where the program is strongest and take advantage of these strengths, and quit trying to use it for something it doesn’t do, can’t do, and never said it can do.

It’s almost as though you didn’t do any research whatsoever about the program’s capabilities before just jumping in with completely unrealistic expectations, but that can’t be, can it?

-Gully

1 Like

Perhaps Gully you could read back through the thread and check whose attitude and research levels need to be adjusted.

1 Like

Ah, tough but fair. Thanks for the guidance.

-Gully

So, the only way to possibly generate a smoother (and quicker to set up) fly-through would be to download a ‘ruby’ or ‘plugin’. Are these one and the same thing? Incidentally, I ‘got the idea’ that SU was capable of some animation from the many online tutorials bearing the name. Ditto ‘Dynamic Component’, etc.

: S

Ruby is the programming language used for automating and extending SketchUp. In the Ruby community it is common to refer to a program as “a ruby”. In SketchUp, added Ruby code is called either a “plugin” or an “extension”. An extension is just a plugin with some added code that helps SketchUp to manage it.

Always a tad diffident about downloading these things (bugs, viruses, et al). Are there any you’d recommend?

There are no one-size-fits-all recommendations that I would make. A good extension is one that you find you use all the time in your personal workflow; it depends on what you model and how you go about it. The rest are just clutter. Hang around on forums such as this one and sketchUcation for a while and see what people suggest when a poster asks about something you also do.

I have never heard of a virus or trojan in a plugin from a reputable site such as Trimble’s Extension Warehouse, sketchUcation, ruby library depot, or smustard. There are occasional bugs, but most authors are quite responsive about fixing them.

2 Likes

For a truly life like walk-through use something like Lumion, Just import your model from sketch-up add some render and the rest is easy… I can do it for you for approx £18.00 per finished sec of movie, or I am selling my copy of Lumion if you would like to do it yourself, if you can use sketch up you can use Lumion.