Setting north in model for shadows function?

I generally model places with front being south or street side. If, on the actual site, the building will be angled significantly off a north/south axis, is there a way to set the compass direction of the shadow function as different from the drawing axis?
Hope this gets the idea across.
Thanks

1 Like

Use the Solar North extension to set Solar North as desired. It’s in the Extension Warehouse.

https://extensions.sketchup.com/extension/393f5153-ba5f-4f5f-849f-46b32cf64bd4/solar-north

2 Likes

Great, will check it out. And thank you!

As has been said, the Solar North plugin enables you to set true north in relation to the model.
There are four settings one needs to verify for correct shadows.

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder. Having read Patrick O’ Brian, I have been schooled in the importance of latitude & longitude. :wink:

1 Like

Just noticed that the compatibility for the Solar North doesn’t include SU2020… I’ll install it anyways as I recently upgraded to SU2020 and have used it in the past, but I know SU tends to crash (more often) due to plugin incompatibility…

So, question is, is there a native way to achieve solar north settings?

Yes, I chose not to install. It is an important bit of functionality for solar modeling and a native solution would be proper. And, be good to know how it’s going.

On it’s own that doesn’t indicate whether or not it is compatible with 2020. As a matter of fact it works just fine in SketchUp 2020. In this case it’s just a matter of the compatibility list not getting updated yet.

1 Like

Great, thanks!