RfE: Display Output Benchmark

by doing screen transformations (orbit/zoom/pan) of several complex models in different view modes (wireframe/HLR/shaded) and measuring the time required for doing this either integrated or as an extension.

< update >And optional an upload of the result in connection w/ some specs (CPU/GPU incl. driver revision/RAM) to a public viewable comparison table.< /update >

1 Like

+1

there is a basic spin with statics usingā€¦

Test.time_display

but itā€™s very limitedā€¦

I think an extension would be preferable to integratedā€¦

1 Like

Or perhaps split the difference: An extension, maintained by SU and included in the distribution, but can be disabled, as Dynamic Components and Advanced Camera Tools are currently implemented.

1 Like

This test model has been around since olā€™ Hector was a pup.
Follow the Screen Text instruction to run Test.time_display

Test.skp (204.0 KB)

1 Like

it would probably be more appropriate to have it as a community extension, hosted on github like the STL and Developer Tools are alreadyā€¦

the ā€˜productionā€™ version could be available from Extension Warehouse and a selection of purpose built test models could be hosted on 3dWarehouse and linked from the extensionā€¦

Bloating the distribution with occasional use content is unlikely to happenā€¦

@Geo I was just going to add the link to the v7 thread as you postedā€¦

john

2 Likes

I agree that it is likely better as an installable extension than an included (and disableable) extension. Itā€™s just my nature to point out different available choices. Note that I said ā€œperhapsā€, not ā€œIā€™d preferā€.

@sketch3d_de, do you have a particular ā€˜use caseā€™ supporting this request?

john

see my update above, would be neat for those users asking for the influence of CPU vs. GPU on the SU performance to have a ressource where real life systems could be compared.

1 Like