Remove one entity from another

I have shown that basic work flow many times in the various blog posts I’ve made for Design. Click. Build. It’s also shown in my eBook and Adavanced Techniques DVD. I suppose I could do another one, too. In my opinion, it shouldn’t be an advanced technique, though.

1 Like

Wow thank you very much for taking the time to make a video, that was incredibly kind of you! I shall go back and learn some more. Seems like I’ve got the basics but so much more can be done.

Is there anyway to give you ‘credit’ or upvotes or something? You’ve been a huge help.

Oli.

I learned too during the process, so it is a pleasure if I can help.
People here is very kind, they has helped me a lot all this time.
You can give a like to the posts that were useful for you.

As I said, I think you have to fix first fix the geometry of your model, I don’t see where the error are because I think you’re working with very little units but not all edges are coplanar and that makes some faces are empty and other faces doesn’t get cut correctly during the intersection process. You can work on a scale higher, maybe x100 and once it’s everything done scale it down.

When you use scale tool you can type a value and then press return, you can start your model from scratch at a 100x scale, once everything is done you can use scale again and type 0.01 or just .01 (I use “,” instead of “.” because of my keyboard language). The first time I asked why 0.01? they answered: those are basic maths 1/100 = 0.01 :joy:

You maybe find interesting the following things on that video:
View > Component Edit > Hide rest of model
View > Component Edit > Hide similar components
Camera > Parallel projection
Camera > Perspective projection

Remember how selection tool works, if you drag from left to right you select only the elements that are they whole inside the rectangle you drew (that includes the faces and edges that are behind the faces you see). On the other hand if you select dragging from right to left you will select everything that’s inside that rectangle, even those faces/edges that has only a little part included on it, excuse my English).

One thing more, I also used eraser tool with ctrl key pressed to smooth the edges, that way they’re only visible if you turn on hidden geometry through view menu. When you select a tool you can see some tips on the left bottom corner like this one for the eraser.

As you can see, control key make edges soft+smooth
Shift key modifier make it hiden.
I think tthere is one more possible modifier, if you press ctrl + shift you can work on hidden geometry making it visible because turn soft and smooth enable.

https://www.sketchup.com/learn/videos/826

https://www.sketchup.com/learn/videos/836

Thank you.

You were cleverer than I was - you highlighted a near face, then pushpulled to create the missing faces and didn’t have to redraw them.

But as @DaveR says, this doesn’t work if you have a more complex cutter, intersecting with non-parallel geometry. Then his method is DEFINITELY faster!

The using of push/pull tool to create the faces was a lucky strike to me.
I knew it was not going to be so easy intersecting shapes with curves.
However the using of intersect with model to intersect a elements inside a component with the elements outside as you explained and the work flow suggested by Dave were a very good lesson to me, so thank you both.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.