Quit My Job, Need a $1000 Laptop Recommendation :)

Hey Jessica,
What laptop did you end up going with and how’s it working out? I’m in the same situation, looking for a laptop to run both the latest versions of SketchUp and Vray. Just wondering if you had any advice.
-Pat

Dell XPS 15.

Also, now that VRay Cloud is out (and free for a bit), performance is less of an issue. SketchUp works great and I can do constant, small interactive renders in Vray to check lighting without the computer breaking a sweat (and when ready, I just push all the big renders to the online service). Think this will actually keep me from having to buy another computer for a good long time!

1 Like

I’m Frank and I am looking to buy Sketchup software. I’m an Electrical Contractor and developer from the State of Pennsylvania. I’m interested in a Windows based system with a plotter printer. Any assistance would be appreciated. Did you get the up and running with the new venture? Regards,

1 Like

high-clocked i5/i7, dedicated nVidia GeForce GT(X), 8+ GB RAM and a not too small SSD as system media and your done.

Thanks Jessica, This info will be a great help. -Pat

As you have a budget of $1000 and need a gaming laptop that can run AutoCAD and related software, you can go with Acer Predator Helios 300, MSI GV62 or GF63, Dell G7 15 and similar options. You also described that you need to carry it with you while travelling and so out of the above suggested, go with Dell G7 15 or MSI GF63 Thin because they are little bit thin and lightweight than other laptops.

Source 1: Best Gaming Laptop Under $1000
Source 2: Best Laptops For Video Editing

Carol, this thread is near a full year old.
Jessica already informed us above that (in Dec of `18) she bought the Dell XPS 15.

But, your advice can stand for anyone else who has the same (or similar) decision to make.

2 Likes