PolygonMesh Surface Creation

I’m new to this forum, so if this post is off-topic, please let me know. I want to share two plugins that I’ve developed that allow you to create many different types of surfaces that are not normally achievable using the normal SketchUp toolbox components.

The first plugin is spirix.rb that uses arbitrarily linked edges to generate surfaces with nine different interpolative transformations. These are applied to revolving, rotating, extruding, scaling, radial, and morphing operations. It includes a module that allows for the same transformations to be used to create patterns of grouped entities as well.

The second is uv_polygen.rb that allows you to create any parametric surface whose x, y, and z co-ordinates can be defined by independent functions of u and v. The functions are typed in using standard Ruby math syntax and allow for almost any shape imaginable.

Both plugins provide for the creation of an offset surface that can be “stitched” together with the primary surface to form a leak-proof manifold volume that can be treated as a 3D solid entity.

Both plugins and instructions can be found on the Spirix home page:

If you have any suggestions or comments, please let me know. If you have any questions, I will be more than happy to try and answer them, but please read the instructions before asking.

1 Like

Are you going to publish them on Extension Warehouse?

That’s a good question. Technologically speaking, I live in a cave and don’t get out much. I have a bad habit of re-inventing the wheel and typically discover afterward that someone else has done a much more elegant job. So I thought I would acquire some feedback from a group of folks who are eyeball deep in this stuff and try to elicit some guidance.

If my plugins have no intrinsic value, then I hardly think it would be worthwhile to have them gathering dust on a shelf in the extension warehouse. On the other hand, if anyone thinks that they might be useful, then I would certainly be willing to jump through the hoops to get them better integrated.

So in answer to your question “Are you going to publish them on Extension Warehouse?”, I really don’t know .

Let me help you: Publish! They look cool - you should submit them. People like parametric stuff.

However, you might need to do some updates to the code to implement the SketchupExtension class that we require for Extension Warehouse: http://extensions.sketchup.com/en/developer