I’ve tried your plugin as I really like the potential for organization and visualization it offers, however I can’t get used to the way we have to assign tags.
I hope I’m able to explain the feature request I have. I think it’s rather simple but I don’t know how to easily explain it.
The way you have set it feels unnatural and not inline with the function of the plugin. You have to select an object and activate all tags you want it to have and then save those. That way implies that if you want to tag several components/groups at the same time, the selection must be carefully curated so that all objects have common tags.
Using the locking feature facilitates this a bit, as you can start from a set of tags inherited from another object, change the ones you need and save it.
However, the most intuitive way, or at least the one I’d expected, would be to pick a lot of objects, and assign them a single tag. If I’d do this for several different selections I could keep adding tags to the selection without overriding previously existing sets of tags.
As you have now, a mistake in the selection overrides all tags and ruins previous work. It also implies that we have to carefully think which order to select objects and forces you to almost go through each object at least once.
Imagine the following workflow:
- I have 2 floors, a slab for each floor, several walls for each floor and a roof
- Your plugin has two extra buttons for assigning tags - one is add tag, the other is remove tag.
- Select all slabs and assign a slab tag
- Select all walls and assign a walls tag.
- Selet all slabs and walls from 1st floor and assign the 1st floor tag
- Select all remaining walls and slabs and assign the 2nd floor tag.
- Then select the topmost slab and assign the roof tag.
- As a mistake might have happened and the final slab can’t be the 2nd floor and roof at the same time you select it and remove the roof tag.
This is a much faster workflow as it allows less thinking and a lot faster selection of objects to tag at once. Adding or removing tags, each at a time, is less prone for errors.
Saving with the disk implies that you are sure that the object you are tagging must feature several tags at once.
Assigning or removing a tag at a time, only requires you to know if the selection of objects you have should feature that tag or not so it’s much easier to check.
- I can tag all windows of the project, no matter where they are located or what material they have.
- I can tag all objects from first floor no matter if they are windows, walls, cabinets, slabs, furniture or what not.
In the end a window is a window and some of them are in the first floor as well as the other objects of the first floor.
The same example but using the workflow you have right now, requires you to:
- Tag a window, in the first floor, made of aluminum, with double glazing.
- Double check that everything is right
In the end you’ll have the same result, but you had to check at once that all properties were right from the start.
Also, if one extra tag is created, it would be very easy to select which objects should have it, select them and simply assign them to the tag. The process wouldn’t require a doublec check. It would be immediate.
So, could you consider a way for us to do this kind of tagging?