Plan drawing

A plan drawing is by definition not a 2D diagram but a horizontal section slice through a 3D building at a height that cuts through all (or most of) the wall openings.

A perfect name for the thing, when thinking about what is happening to the climate and environment. :smile: I am not quite sure that replacing every horsepower with a living horse might make things any better.

For those new to SketchUp or for those considering how to use SketchUp/LayOut to create professional industry standard documents, this post reflects, imho, two points of view, which might lead one to shortsighted conclusions.

First, many spatial designers, including myself, prefer to develop their ideas in 3D, whether using as examples; perspective drawings (Mendelsohn), models (Utzon) or computer graphics (Hadid), this approach has a storied history that continues.

190322-suf%20JU1

I choose to design in SketchUp, because as a tool I can create architectural designs that consider the spatial experience in a dynamic, intimate and communicative manner.

Second, LayOut does provide a clear way to transform 3D designs to industry standard documents. Is LayOut perfect, not yet, but the discussion of that particular topic is found in many other posts across this forum.

Importantly, for this post, it is possible and achievable, and I for one utilize LayOut to create industry standard documents for permitting, fabrication and construction of among other things, commercial architectural projects. For those willing to learn and create workflows that marshal the strengths of SketchUp/LayOut, viable timely designs and work products can be achieved.

2 Likes

I use Sketchup for first 2d schemes and plans (never elevations…) then block out 3d models and then convert them in building models that I section for plans, elevations and that old fashioned stuff most of us need.

I make incredibly accurate stuff with sketchup. Way more accurate than what I did before with CAD.

I never had a scale issue importing from CAD.

2 Likes

Bravo!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.