Parts of the model are shifting when exported to PDF

From layout

to PDF

Well House Planset.layout (575.8 KB)
Well House.skp (226.6 KB)

In SketchUp, all those groups are scaled.

Explode them and regroup them. And when you scale an object, do it from the inside (Edit Group), not from the outside.

Didn’t work. I exploded everything, reset all the scales and regrouped. I ended up deleting the layout page and reinserting the viewports. It worked. Not sure what the issue was. It did crash on me when I was making the original page.

My interactive with your files was brief and I don’t know if this is the limit of your workflow, but…

What you’ve done in SketchUp – 2D drawing – can just as easily be done using Layout’s drawing tools.

I do it all the time.

If you are in windows - what display scaling factor do you have set for your monitor?

Try setting it to 100% , reboot your machine (so it takes effect correctly) then take a look at your file again

You have Output Override turned on for your LayOut document, with your details placed rather far from the model origin, so with Hybrid rendering, vector edges tend to get misaligned from the raster-rendered faces. I would recommend using Raster rendering at high resolution, with JPG compression turned off, as a best compromise.
Well House Planset.pdf (1.2 MB)

I agree with Paul that since you are just doing 2D drawing you could have done this all in LayOut. Since you are using SketchUp @Anssi is also correct that with your model parts spread out over a large area, that can cause problems. With that said, though, I correctly set up the scene in your model with the camera set to Parallel Projection. You have it set to Perspective. Then I updated the reference in LayOut, reset the Camera properties and adjusted the positions of the viewport borders without modifying the Camera properties and scale appropriately. I rendered the viewport as Vector because there’s no benefit to Hybrid render.

In LayOut the viewport looks like this.

And in the PDF export, like this.

If you set up the scenes in SketchUp correctly and then set up the viewport correctly without modifying camera properties (no reset button in the Camera section of the SketchUp Model panel) things will work correctly.

1 Like

Thanks for the help. There’s a little more nuance to setting up viewports than I thought. Got some homework to do.

1 Like

Here are a few things that will make the whole process easier.

• Don’t spread your geometry out across the county. Keep it all relatively close to the model origin.
  • For your 2D drawings in SketchUp set the Camera to Parallel Projection and the appropriate standard view. A clue that your model has the Camera set to Perspective is the Top view indicated in the upper left corner AND the blue axis is visible. In Parallel Projection the blue axis won’t be visible.
  • Set up scenes in SketchUp that show the parts of the model the way you need to see them in the document you’re creating.
  • In LayOut choose the appropriate scene for the viewport and for these 2D views, select a suitable scale. Even if the actual scale isn’t all that important setting one will give you more predictable results.
  • If needed drag the edges of the viewport to crop the view to the part of the model you want to show. Do not double click into the viewport to pan, orbit, or zoom. Doing that is fine for a one-off, throw-away document but it’s likely to create hassles for you if you need to go back to the document later. There’s really no need to open the viewport to move the camera anyway.