Parameters - how to sort if too many

hello please help,

how to sort parameters if there are too many of them.

lets say: lot of objects, each object adjustable as for the width/length/height/xxx…but I do not need to see all the adjustments/parameters of all objects at once but only after clicking on “something” that “nests” the parameters of each object…

thank you

Hello

I answer from my phone, I can’t illustrate my point with images.

Parameter nodes have a Boolean entry to hide the parameter in the dialog box

You can add a Boolean parameter upstream to expand the display of corresponding parameter nodes

Or you can make a selection read and according to the chosen index display the corresponding inputs.

Hello simjoubert,

thank you - quick and useful as usual :ok_hand:

I just had to put the node NOT in-between - otherwise it showed/hid the connected nodes in the opposite way…

2 Likes

hello simjoubert,

please see this graph:
https://creator.trimble.com/graph?layout=right&assetURI=whp:50e59e81-0b62-4614-8d52-36cb6b1d049e
I had a problem with the wall/holes if the number of holes is 0 - then the “boolean 2d paths” and following nodes did not work and the whole object disappered.

the only way I found was to create a BOX without holes with identical position and dimensions which replaces the original wall with holes (via Switch and Boolean, you showed me yesterday :wink:).

question: is there any more elegant way how to adjust the original wall with holes (accepting 0 openings) without this additional box?

thank you

Hello
Even if you want 0 holes, you must maintain at least 2 input curves of the boolean operation.
So force a copy = 1 if number of holes = 0
Force the radius of the circle to 0 if 0 hole otherwise its normal value

https://creator.trimble.com/graph?layout=right&assetURI=whp:15b3391d-5e8f-475e-9dbf-c77e2c2927d1
:beers:

bonjour,

thanks, nice and clear.

in my mind, I was thinking this way, unfortunately I’m missing the syntax knowledge you used in the EXPRESSION node (but I can understand what the “formula” means), so I knew what but didn’t know how…any link where I could learn more regarding this syntax used/allowed in LC?

(would the nodes EQUAL or GREATER also help - instead of the EXPRESSION node, or they are for something else?)

Cheers

hello
To make a conditional expression

# if ? then : even
# ex 
a==b ? 1 : 0
a>b ? 1:0

#if and if ? then  : even
#ex
a==b && a>c ? 1 : 0
a>b && 2*a==b ? 1 :0

#if or if ? then : even
a==b || a>c ? 1 :0
a>b || 2*a==b ? 1:0

#if ? then : evenif ? then :even
a==b ? 1 : (2*a==b ? 2:0)

Expression node reduce the number of used node to do the same thing with node equal greater … And switch number.

https://creator.trimble.com/graph?assetURI=whp:a6722767-b6fa-45a2-80d6-941090b4ee0e

:8ball:

hello,

thank you for the explanation - lots of material to study

“see” you next week :wink:

Hi! Sim seems to have answered your question already, regards to parameters, but to focus in on the 2d boolean stuff for a minute:

In response to your 2d boolean question, yes, 2d boolean requires two input polygons to operate on. However the node isn’t always required if those two polygons do not overlap. One specification of the triangulate 2d paths node is how boundaries and holes are defined. By default the first primitive is a boundary whereas any other are holes (see the input handling input). Thus, if we know that the two polygons do not overlap, that saves us from needing the 2d boolean node in the first place (this also means we avoid the need to switch when there are no holes!).

EG: Trimble Creator

Otherwise, if we want to take into consideration of overlapping holes and subtract them when needed, we can also utilize the error check node (use sparingly as I wouldn’t consider it to be “good” graph Etiquette) like so: Trimble Creator

Cheers!

Hello,

please help

see this graph
https://creator.trimble.com/graph?layout=right&assetURI=whp:a6237980-85e1-40a6-8198-114a77567055

I’m trying to select one hole out of 4 and move it up and down independently from the others - they should stay in the given position.

but when I try to select other than the first hole the whole graph disappers.

what am I doing wrong?

thank you.

Hi! The issue seems to stem from the triangulate 2d path node where it seems to not be able to interpret it’s input. The particular issue seems to be that the polygons that it considers as “holes” are overlapping (see: Screen capture - db23a78602f41d441f388368b76cc764 - Gyazo), this will need to be solved before we triangulate.

There are two options. The first is to make sure that those “holes” (circles) do not overlap, by being careful of how we are moving the selected circle. For example:Trimble Creator. you’ll notice this one also errors above a certain moved height, but for another reason (the hole/circle is outside of the border polygon).

The other is to first boolean 2d path the holes together, so that any overlapping circles are considered as a single "hole. For example: Trimble Creator

Cheers

Good morning
my first reflex to head to replace the node align by transform with a z translation
but I don’t have the bug reported by Cam_wells
https://creator.trimble.com/graph?layout=right&assetURI=whp:9ef59dee-6b06-45d4-b656-ea8031e7c398
:rocket:

2 Likes

hello,

thank you both :+1:

accidentally, as usual, I maybe found a third solution:
in my original graph I just changed the “y source” in “align” from “value” to “first connection or primitive” and it seems to be working.

https://creator.trimble.com/graph?layout=right&assetURI=whp:c9779762-0788-46d4-916b-1c6dcd60be21

1 Like

Hello,

please help:

my final aim with this graph is to isolate all the openings (their number can vary) and adjust them individually as for the z-axis (equalizer like).

In the graph below I can just isolate one opening, move it up/down but if I go to another opening, the first one jumps back into its original position - which is clear because now the graph isolates always one hole only.

I would be able to isolate all the openings, but have no idea how to parametrize them…every opening needs to have its own “up/down” slider?? - or there can be only one operating the hole I have just chosen? My idea is to have in parameters the boolean switches for each hole and if I select one I can adjust the given hole…hopefuly understandable…

https://creator.trimble.com/graph?layout=right&assetURI=whp:c9779762-0788-46d4-916b-1c6dcd60be21

thank you

Hello
You can do that !
Auto hide parameters with the number of holes !

https://creator.trimble.com/graph?layout=top&assetURI=whp:856a6a81-960a-4b34-b950-c7dd9cfafa9c
:rocket:

1 Like

beautiful, that’s exactly what I was looking for

how long did you learn LC? - to be at this level :wink:

1 Like

Just :fr:
We are used to a complicated administration! :grinning:

:smile: :grinning:

But sometimes you also choose a direct and clear way to express yourselves - as I can read in the news these days.

anyway, some basic lesson would be great :wink: (maybe not only for me)

You set the task/topic (simple/basic task :wink:) and I’ll try to make the graph…you check and correct - what about this idea?

Hello,

please help:

just playing with this graph (testing position/rotation of the object between the walls):
https://creator.trimble.com/graph?layout=right&assetURI=whp:88e8236c-4f1c-46f9-a036-e56a96031d9d

I wanted to put in another object - triangle with 90degree angle, extruded and suitable for the walls corners in the graph - but I do not know how to create it…still trying to connect somehow 3 lines and create a mesh inside + extrude but without success…

thank you

Hi!

There are many ways to make a right angle triangle, all of which can be thought of by understanding the basic building blocks of geometry.

Here are four options you may use: Trimble Creator

1. The first makes use of the fact that all meshes are made up of triangles. A rectangle is made of two right angle triangles. By unwelding the mesh, and using the mesh boundary node to isolate these triangles, we can get a right angle triangle without much fuss.
  2. The second also starts with a rectangle (as it already has right angles), and as all polygons are made up of points, if we delete the right one, then the polyline forms a triangle.
  3. This one looks at the simplest elements of a right angle triangle, two lines at 90deg from each other, then using the points to curve node, connecting them together to form the remaining, slightly more complex, diagonal line.
  4. Lastly this one takes the most basic elements of the triangle, it’s points, and builds it from that. In other words, defining the points of a triangle which can then be turned into a curve to make our polygon triangle.

My personal favourite is version 2 as it uses the least nodes, but you can pick and choose the way that makes the most sense to you!

PS. you can simplify the alignment of you corner geometry by using the mirror node, and using the center of the walls as the pivot point. Like so: Trimble Creator

2 Likes