New computer

PC or MAC. Something that just runs it. Simple, affordable. etc.
I’m just getting very aggravated right now. Nothing’s working.
I run sketchup pro on my 9 years old imac and it’s fine but i’m looking at something more portable. I just bought a surface book 2 and there’s this lag when I select object. So I’ve been reading. lots of people have that issues. I have tried everything they’re saying and it’s not working. I’m good with the software but I’m not a hardware guru or anything. Now I"m considering returning it to buy something else ie macbook or something. all I read is issues after issues, people trashing graphic cards etc. why did the old machine worked fine and now all these issues. I can’t make up my mind on what computer to buy now. If anyone has positive ideas and simples recommendations, that would be great. descent and affordable computer. under $2000 including tax.

I argue that you should get a computer where you work faster. For me that is Mac, but I would bet that Windows users feel the same. As you know, SketchUp runs ok even on older machines, so getting a recent machine at a good price should be a good option.

Apple just updated MacBook Pro, which would make now be a good time to get the previous generation. Here’s an App page of a refurbished MacBook Pro, at not too bad a price, though look at non-Apple sites too:

1 Like

Does SketchUp Free work fine on your Surface Book 2? If so, then SketchUp Shop might be a good portable option. Only thing is, you’ll need internet access to use it.

You can still use SketchUp Pro on your iMac, right? That’s good, at least. Considering it’s lasted so long, I’d recommend another Mac. Your options are a MacBook Pro, MacBook, or a MacBook Air. All of them have options under $2,000. I’d recommend getting a 13" MacBook Pro and an external 1 TB storage device (if 256GB storage isn’t enough). They’re cheaper than upgrading the memory on your Mac. Just be sure to read the reviews on the storage drive, so you get a good one.

$1499
2.3GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640
8GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
256GB SSD storage
Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
Backlit Keyboard - US English

The cheapest option might be the MacBook Air at $999. It’s a great computer if you don’t mind the downgraded specs. If all you need is a portable laptop for SketchUp, then the MacBook Air will get the job done.

$999
1.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 memory
128GB SSD storage
Intel HD Graphics 6000
Backlit Keyboard - US English

WD My Passport for Mac 1TB Portable External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0
$159.99
54%20PM

1 Like

I’m always shopping for new condition old stock, or refurbished units. Adorama, B&H and Other World Computing have variously worked out for me.

Example of 2015 model at Adorama
Example of 2016 model at Adorama

Also a good watch list is deals and price guides at Apple Insider.

Thank you all. I returned to computer. I’m a designer and not much of a computer guru. I don’t like fiddling around with specs and hardware etc. I returned it and although I almost bought a Mac, I got brilliant guidance and purchased an ASUS Zenbook. 16G ram with Nvidia video card. Plugged it in, downloaded sketch up pro. NO lag. I’m in heaven. Thank you all though.

2 Likes