Need Help Smoothing Out This Model

Unless yours is a purely hypothetical exercise, you should never fail to consider structural stability and if you are a conscientious designer, the same epithet applies regardless of whether or not it will ever be built. The inclusion of a stair nosing is more of a safety feature than it is an issue of “sturdiness”, btw.

Be aware that code requirements in the US and many other countries dictate that the treads on stairs used for egress be installed with a nosing that extends beyond the riser face.

It’s being modeled for a video game, otherwise I would include things like nosing. If I’m ever modeling for anything else, I’ll have to look up building codes, as I had no idea any of that would be an issue for stairs ^^;

My only other SketchUp project was a bed frame that I planned to have built. I did include construction details like dovetailing and such that I wouldn’t include in a model for a video game, since I didn’t want it to collapse on me!

OK, I get it. I think if I were developing a model for use in a video game, nosings on stair treads would be the LAST thing I’d consider.

Bon chance and when can we expect to see the game?

It’s for a skyrim mod =) A new player house. I’ll post a link here, as well as the finished staircase when I’m done!

Here’s the untextured 99% finished model:

The width of the ‘stringer’ part varies a bit, and because of that the spindles overlap it a bit in places. The spindles were originally a component, but because of the way they connect to the rest of the model (various different angles), they aren’t anymore. If anyone has a suggestion on how to fix the overlapping issue without a significant amount of remodeling, I’d love to hear it!