Need help making this figure for 3d print

I am having trouble making the lense sit on top of the prism. After that I want to remove the excess material of the lense that sticks out since I am more interested in the position of the convex point of the lense. I hope that makes sense. Please see diagram. Please help.

Do you select a 2d view of the screen first (top, side, front) and then draw? Please let me know your tricks.

Thanks Sketchup Community!

That’s completely unnecessary. I presume that when you build things in the real world you don’t have any trouble looking at them in a perspective view. The more natural your view of the object, the easier it is to work with.

You’ve got three simple elements: a prism, a cylinder, and a dome. I would just construct the three shapes and then put them together.

Your numbers don’t add up. (e.g., how can the diameter of the lens be 23mm yet it doesn’t extend all the way across the 20mm leg of the prism?)

-Gully

Hi Gully,

thank you. I know the dome is larger than the actual prism. Somehow cutting it or slice off the excess material that sticks out. Here’s a more accurate diagram. I added a double concave lense on the back part of the prism, which wouldn’t be attached to the unit. I would have to 3d print them separately and then connect them.

There is no right triangle with legs of 14.14, 20, and 10.

-Gully

does this fit the requirements?lens.skp (126.8 KB)

perhaps he gave up?

more added characters to apease the forum gods.

Perhaps he’s off double-checking his math.

You can create an invisible character string to fulfill the (ridiculous) minimum character requirement. Anything between two angle brackets is treated by Discourse as an unknown html tag, which is to say it is not shown.

I generally put a string of xes between the two brackets.

Here’s the code <xxxxxxx>

Here’s how Discourse renders it:

You can get the total area used by each material, so an actual count of the tiles isn’t really needed.

-Gully

Thank you Jeff and Gully for the diagram! Lol. Yes my calculations were off. It was suppose to be a 30-60-90 prism. The length should have been 10 on the side, 10 (root) 3 on the top and 20 on the hypotenuse. Thank you for the file Jeffery. How do we adjust the lengths? I appreciate your time and help.

I’m not real good at telling people how things are done in sketchup, I just kind of do them. If you give me new dimensions I can rework the model.

10mm on the height, 17.32mm (instead of 14.14) for the length, and 20mm (instead of 17.32) for the hypotenuse. Thank you Jeff!

try this one.lens2.skp (103.1 KB)

I think I got everything right.

Thank you Jeff. I am having a hard time trying to send this to my Creator Pro FlashForge Printer. I convert it to a DAE file because that’s one of the recognized files for the printer, unless it can be converted to a stl. Can you help me with this? When I open it in the replicator software, it is a small tiny dot on the preview. I believe the measures aren’t showing up correctly…Please help and explain how I can do this… Or if theres a way to convert it to stl?

Ok i googled and found a plugin. I think it’s working and it’s able to convert to stl straight from sketchup.

This is something you will need to ask the community. It is outside my
experience.

As far as I could tell the geometry is perfectly clean but try checking it
for orphans geometry. This is all I can think of.

The model you posted above is not solid plus it is two nested components, explode each then make the overall a component, run solid inspector, correct internal faces using solid inspector and then it reports as solid. The STL format is dimensionless and when you export the SU exporter ( hope you are using the SU plugin) asks for format and dimensions select ascii and mm. I do not know about your printer software it may have some settings for dimension settings. Have you measured dimensions or are you assuming it is wrong?
Your base model is relatively small in the 10’s mm range is that what you want?