Native GNU/Linux version needed

Months ago i tried to install the ms-windows version of SketchUp on Wine (Ubuntu 14.04), and it behaved painfully slow (when editing, the model moving like a 4-seconds-per-frame video)

So i guess would be amazing if SketchUp could be released in a native GNU/Linux version (just like everything else from Google, like Google Earth, Hangouts plugin, Chrome browser, etc.)

As well, would be great having some interoperability with other software like Blender, Inkscape, etc., at least in the import/export level (.blend, .obj, .svg, etc.)

thanks! :slight_smile:

SketchUp was bought by Trimble Navigation in summer 2012.

I’m not sure if supporting an operating system w/ a market share on the desktop of roughly 2% does make sense, economical wise…

I do think your idea is a good one and would like it myself.

However, SketchUp is no longer owned by Google (as @sketch3d_de pointed out) and Trimble are probably of the opinion that few people would use SketchUp under Linux at the moment.

But, here’s to hoping. In my opinion, the more platforms a piece of software works on the better it is as more people can use it. My message to Trimble would be to go for it, get your product out there, into more peoples hands like games companies are doing at the moment (porting their games to Linux). Linux could do with SketchUp.

Considering that Trimble once based some of their more professional and specialized devices on Linux, and are recently jumping between different systems (Windows 8, Android), they are rather unbiased about platforms. It appears nowadays the cheapest solution is to take an off-the-shelf Android and throw your own UI on it.
That doesn’t solve the core of the problem: For Trimble (or SketchUp) it means to develop from scratch for that platform, and adds nothing for your original request.

The market share argument alone is not everything, it also depends on attitude/priorities and very much on the technology stack that is being used. Some commercially successful companies still achieve to cover a wide range of the market by using true cross-platform technology (like Qt, but not only) that takes away much of the effort. Not to imply those companies care about small percentages, but rather they don’t need to care about platforms in general.

It remains to be seen where SketchUp wants to position themselves in the more pluralized mobile/converged market.
On the desktop they are still too busy polishing out the bugs in two different native code bases for Win/OS X and catching up with the OS vendors’ new releases.

Maybe people do not use both linux as a desktop operating system because of not having the applications they use. If companies to bet on linux the same way as Windows or OS / X thing may be more even. I work on Linux and I have to use some virtualize applications.

I believe this is a “if you build it they will come” situation. I love my linux machine. I ran a windows VM just work with sketchup and it just wan’t the same. I am sure if there was a road map of what developers would need from the community, they would get it. A kickstarter/crowd source campaign to get the funds to port to linux would be an interesting way to see who would want the program. I would pledge $150 myself to have a native linux application.

Why should a Linux version be cheaper than the one for other platforms?

Anssi

Anssi, I use/d sketchup for personal reasons there fore do no pay for pro. I am not asking to purchase a license, I am offering to help fund the development of a linux version, from which others would be able to purchase licenses for their differing needs. I stated I would pledge $150 for the development of a port, others that would want a pro license would probably kick in more. I am saying I would pay $150 for the free version.

This topic has been around for years, and it feels sick reading it, partly because always the same people get into it and mute arguments and partly because new requesters drop a brick and express their argument not the most convincing way.

More helpful than $150 would probably be promoting your idea and collect enough new Pro customers that a Linux release would require. Think about that a developer/year costs more in the range of a 100k. That doesn’t make your pledge less valuable, I find it a generous statement considering that you don’t expect to make a profit compared to Pro users.

I’m not sure if those softwares that kindly have a native Linux version do it because they earn so much from it, or just because they happened to start their software in a cross-platform manner and the compiler just spits out a linux version with little extra cost. For SketchUp this is different: not being a cross-platform code base means every platform requires to develop a new UI from scratch. Worse is, there is not even an incentive to move to a cross-platform codebase because it’s just profitable enough and little to no gain.

Yes, seems that is a vicious circle. The people are not using Linux because they don’t have the applications they are used to and the developers are not developing software for linux because has a low marketshare.

I think that the best solution is to begin a Kickstarter campaign to develop a brand new software similar to Sketchup that will run on the three main OS. If a software developer looking for new ideas can read this… I think a lot of people will pledge for such a software.

@raducoc

maybe this could be considered moreORless vaporware at the moment but:

that’s going to run on linux
(i imagine it won’t exactly be ‘sketchup like’ though… probably more solidworks like.

[quote]We let you run on pretty much anything: Mac, Chromebook, Windows, Linux, phones, tablets, etc. The goal of pure-cloud systems like Onshape is that you do not to even have to think anymore about whether we run on this-or-that computer or OS or version of an OS.

Any device, anywhere.[/quote]

but yeah, it’s probably going to take new software being developed from the ground up with the mindset of trying to elimiinate being tied to a single OS.

[quote=“raducoc, post:11, topic:3794, full:true”]
I think that the best solution is to begin a Kickstarter campaign to develop a brand new software similar to Sketchup that will run on the three main OS. [/quote]

It is already in beta.

The FreeCAD engine allows configurable “workbenches” for specific kinds of design. You might push for a “workbench” that has a more SketchUp-like interface.