Medeek BIM

I’ve been giving some thought to potential customers of the plugins and based on what I am seeing so far I think there is a definite pattern.

Most, if not all, of the plugin purchases are made by customers who are already SketchUp users versus new users who are converting to SketchUp because of the plugins.

For a designer/architect to convert to SketchUp (and the plugins) is a very difficult and big decision for them. It involves changing their entire workflow and possibly a major disruption in their revenue and output. I personally still have not fully made the switch from AutoCad to Layout.

For a designer who is already using SketchUp as their primary design tool it is a much smaller hurdle to incorporate the plugins into their existing SketchUp workflow. For many of these users the plugins offer an incremental increase in productivity and efficiency even if they are not fully parametric or still have certain limitations.

For a new user who is converting to SketchUp from some other software the bar is much higher and as a result the chances of a conversion is quite low in my opinion. Also these new users are looking for a turnkey solution and not a plugin ecosystem that is still in the process of development. Another hurdle is the fact that Layout is no where to the level that it needs to be for many designers (I just spoke to another designer in Canada who puts the majority of his dimensions directly on the model rather than trying to work inside of Layout). The Layout issues will impact the adoption of the plugins, there is no doubt about it.

That being said I think the people most likely to purchase the plugin suites will be current users of SketchUp who have already integrated SketchUp into their workflow and understand its limitations and advantages. They will accept the plugins even in their imperfect state simply because they already are substantial enough to increase a designers efficiency and save them considerable time.

Once the plugins are fully parametric, with the ability to handle complex roofs , complex foundations, gable/shed walls and a number of other improvements, then we might begin to see some people actually convert from other design software packages. I do not think that many will convert to SketchUp on account of a plugin suite that is still far from finished or should I say a “Diamond in the Rough”.

P.S. To be fair a complex project like the mdkBIM is never truly “finished”. What I mean by this is a product that can adequately handle 90% or more of what you throw at it. I guess what I am saying is that even though the plugins have progressed in leaps and bounds there is still much to be done. Unless I can somehow bring on additional programming help I am at least two to three more years away from what I would consider a mature product. If things keep on the up-and-up I will be recruiting individuals who are better at what I do than I am.

4 Likes