Lighting sim software

Greetings
I am in the need of a rendering program that is not one of the traditional big three (Max, Lumion, Vray) though open to others if they can do what I need. I have not tried Enscape but might be worth it for this.
However, I need to produce accurate IES profile lighting. Professional level simulation for accuracy and to avoid liability.
Thank you for any suggestions
Daniel Tal

It’s going to have to be a fairly high end offline renderer (such as v-ray) if you want to work with accurate IES lights.

Realtime solutions such as enscape won’t do it .

Thank you. That helps. I did not know that. So Max and Vray are the best options is my guess as long as not using real time rendering.

What you describe sounds like one of the main features of LightUp. @AdamB can give details.

1 Like

Hard to know exactly to what level you need to show accuracy - most renders you see aren’t light accurate as they exclude some of the more computationally complicated types of calculations.

But if you have hours to kill you can certainly gear v-ray in such a way that it will calculate those things.
You’ll also need to setup all of your surfaces and materials appropriately too.
Tho I may be thinking on another level of accuracy

Yes, I would be interested in that. Going to check it out now.

Yeah very correct and fair. We are trying to match materials as well. We are thinking of doing this in Vray but checking out LightUp since it has the metrics.
Thanks the help!

You probably want to take a look at this page too

I use Twinmotion which has stock and configurable IES units built in. It can be useful to calculate coverage and general fixture performance. However for “seeing” accurate results the devil is in the rendering details. A rendered still behaves something like a camera with an exposure and white balance all its own so you need to be very careful on the output settings to get close to something “real”. Left to it’s own devices the auto exposure and ambient settings will generally compensate to make any light level look acceptable. I have a hard time trusting any rendering I have output as a true representation of the likely feel in the real world, but it certainly helps.

Twinmotion , like unreal engine (without some additional setup) is stuck rendering in an sRGB workspace, even with its simple pathtracer so you can’t even get close to a spectral render as you can with others.

It also can’t do any caustics and probably other things that contribute to how lit any area might be.

1 Like

Yes, LightUp does IES rendering both in Lux contours as well as light rendering.

2 Likes