Layout 2018 using too much RAM

Occasionally my Layout 2018 will start using WAY too much physical memory (maxing the system out at about 85%). I haven’t been able to pinpoint what is triggering it, but it works fine most of the time. The display resolution in Layout is set to “LOW”, but I do have the graphics settings in sketchup set fairly high.

Has anyone else had a similar issue or have any ideas for settings to play with? See screenshot and computer specs below:

Windows 7 Professional - 64 Bit
XPS 8900
Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
8.00 GB of RAM
NVIDIA Quadro M4000 Graphics

System monitor without Layout Running (maxing out at about 54%)

Was LayOut in the middle of doing a render when the memory usage was high? Does the memory usage come back down on its own or do you need to restart LayOut?

-m

I will notice the rest of my programs/processes moving slowly and that’s when I will check and notice that Layout is using all of that memory. Layout is not actually in the process of saving/rendering, but I suspect it may start after exporting a PDF. If I close Layout and then re-open the same file it will be back down to about 350,000 KB instead of almost 2,390,000 KB.

Exporting a PDF can trigger a re-render if your “edit quality” and “output quality” are different, but I would expect the memory usage to come back down after the export is complete… unless there’s a bug in the pdf exporter. 2GB of memory is definitely excessive.

If you notice this happening with a particular file, I’d be interested to take a look at it.

Thanks,
Marc

I do have my output image resolution set to “high”, but the RAM usage does not go back down after the file has finished exporting. I have attached a file that has had this issue in the past, but I’m not always able to replicate the issue. Prior to exporting (today) I was only at about 165,000 K, after save I’m hovering around 425,000 K. It stayed at that higher rate after saving. Although it is not nearly the RAM i noted previously, it does seem to be performing similarly. I tried playing around with having the sketchup model open and updated/not updated in layout without being able to recreate the issue.

I’ve read that sometimes certain graphics cards can error and allow sketchup to use too much memory, and similar issue with certain extensions and 3D Connexion products. I don’t have any 3D Connexion products, but I’m wondering if these are somehow a related issue.

@Marc you should have access to those files now.

I got them, you can remove the links and block my access again if you’d like.

Thanks,
Marc

Yeah, there’s definitely something unpleasant happening when LayOut tries to re-render your document at high quality. In my debug environment the application is just quitting with no explanation. I’ll report back when I know something more helpful.

Bug id is LO-12741

Thanks,
Marc

@Marc, any updates with this situation?

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.