Layers doing inexplicably weird things

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Layer0 is a baseline.

Group/Component are a way to begin organizing stuff by placing wrappers around stuff. A Group is a one-time/one-use wrapper. While a Component wrapper has quite a few options - creating collects, gluing to a surface, Face Me, identical copies, assigning attributes for spreadsheet reports, …

Layers controls visibility of stuff in the SU workspace. While models appear on a flat monitor screen, remember each edge is a vector depicted in space. Each face is bond by several vectors. Every time something is changed, whether changing camera position or new modeling, all the vectors, faces, materials, etc. have to be rerendered. Limiting the visible stuff to just the objects you require reduces the workload on your computer. This sort of control becomes increasingly becomes more important as models become larger. Also there are some nifty effects that can be done by selectively controlling layer visibility, like Scene animation.

Further control how things are rendered by setting up Styles - with options ranging from speedy rendering or resource-sucking pretty effects.

To have both style and geometry display extremes in the same model, set up multiple Scenes, with each Scene saving the particular combination of desirable Layers, Styles, Shadows, Sections, etc., visible.

1 Like

Thanks, that pretty much answers a question (seemingly ignored) that I posted on the forum a few weeks back. I wanted to know whether or not it would be possible to animate a scene that had also been ‘sexy-rendered’ and adorned with funky light effects c/o one of the free Sketchup extensions. Guess not!

I did not write that sexy-rendering cannot be done. Just that it takes more computing horse-power. If models are over-modeled - with unnecessary, excessive detail (a high poly-count) - even powerful computers can be bogged down. People have a lot of control on how their models and model space is organized. This becomes more important as models become larger. Effectively using Layers to control visibility of selected parts is just one thing to optimize. The use of Scenes and Styles also factor in.

Your inquiry was very general. It never contained any specific information about the extension(s) you were expecting to use, what all was to be rendered, and exactly what effects were expected. If there was no response, people who came across your last thread just may not know the answer. Try the forum(s) associated with the free rendering engines you were planning on using.

Thanks. BTW: I’ve just checked, it was Twilight V2. To a spud such as myself the effects were so impressive that I simply assumed the PC would chuck in the teddy if additionally burdened with the task of moving stuff!