Is Unreal Engine FUBAR?

Hmm…

I’m interested in Unreal Engine, but can’t seem to find a way in to their system.

I went to their forum, and it says you have to install their software to participate. Weird, but ok, so I install their software. But it crashes on launch every time with no explanation. So I can’t get in their forum to seek assistance. Catch 22.

I just tried to enter their Twin Motion discussion area. I clicked the Login button hoping to find the Register feature. Clicking login button take you to a dead page, with no further explanation.

Just wondering, should I be trying harder, or is this one of those deals where every other thing is broken?

Maybe this will work? I’m trying to determine whether my hardware can handle Unreal Engine or TwinMotion. If not, then there’s no point in me investing time in learning those systems. Best I can tell so far, TwinMotion is out of reach for me, not sure about Unreal Engine. I could easily be wrong about any of this.

Should you wish to advise, here’s my setup.

iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011)
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Many thanks in advance!

I ran TM on a system not much different, though I have an Nvidia card. It worked, but is slow. It seems to me it was too slow for serious work but fun to check out. Once you turn up the quality (and it’s interesting how you can adjust that) to get to a finished level of output, you may find such a computer gets seriously bogged down. There may be ways to make it work at least for stills, and I haven’t spent enough time to see for sure.

Twin Motion is installed from inside the Unreal software. I can’t be sure of the Unreal software requirements, but Twin Motion needs 10.13.6 or later. If you still are on 10.11, it’s not going to work.

Your 2011 iMac should be able to run 10.13.6, and you can update with the App Store app in 10.11. Of course, it’s a significant upgrade, so you should think carefully about compatibility with other programs you use, and how much drive space you have.

There are other concerns, Twin Motion asks for 12 times the VRAM that you have, and twice the RAM. Were you already thinking about treating yourself to a new computer?

1 Like

TM runs pretty quick for me even on my home box…default install
Dell Precision T1700
4th Gen i7 4770 @ 3.4 GHz
16 gb ram
520 sata SSD
GTX 650 Ti
Win 10 Pro

Edit: Oops Mac…sorry

No chance mate.
You need a decent setup to run Twinmotion 2020.
You should be able to run twinmotion 2019 on that hardware sort of ok.

same for unreal engine. If you can’t run twinmotion very well then although you can run unreal engine you certain won’t be able to get the best from it.

Anyways there is no datasmith plugin available for macOS yet so the smooth path to UE4 is far too rocky currently (which is a shame)

Also the forums work absolutely fine. You do not need to install UE4 or twinmotion to participate, you only need an epic games identity, which you can then add to ‘sign in with Apple’ if you use that functionality

Hi guys, many thanks for your responses.

Ok, it looks like it wouldn’t make sense to spend $250 on software that’s going to only barely work on my machine. I do have OSX 10.13 installed on another drive, but that’s not really going to solve the problem. If Twin Motion was still free I’d install it and accept whatever I can get, but that’s no longer the case.

Twin Motion does look incredibly awesome, and I might very well be willing to fork over the asking price. But, so far at least, I’ve not found anything in 3D land that interests me enough to buy a new machine, especially a high end one.

All that said, I do find Twin Motion to be quite intellectually interesting, as it seems to be a compelling example of an emerging virtual reality revolution. As these digital environments become ever more realistic and ever more controllable I’m guessing an ever growing number of people are going to find the real world ever less interesting.

Thanks again for helping me sort this out in such an efficient manner.

Should anyone else come along with a budding interest in TwinMotion, someone with decent hardware, check out this 12 part tutorial series from Justin. Justin is THE MAN!

Ok, I’m trying to revisit this subject with a more open mind. But, um, everything I touch at Epic Games still seems FUBAR.

• Their Epic Games Launcher consistently crashes on launch, no explanation

• They say I must accept the Unreal Engine EULA via the Download Page, but there is nothing on the download page about that.

• I see no way in to the Twin Motion forum, login button leads to a dead “invalid page”

• I see no way to post on the Unreal Engine forums.

• I’ve written them a couple of times seeking assistance, no reply.

So, that’s why I’m asking TwinMotion questions here instead of where I should be asking.

So far at least, their software looks beyond awesome, and their web publishing skills seem beyond sucky.

Hopefully someone will now be able to tell me what ridiculously stupid thing I’m doing wrong, because with your help, that can be fixed. :slight_smile:

Sort of OK would be acceptable, especially for free. Best I can tell though I’ve missed the 2019 boat and that version is no longer available at any price. Wrong again?

Next stupid question. TwinMotion says there is a free unlimited time trial. It must be watermarked or feature limited in some manner. Anyone know how?