Integrated Graphics Card vs Recommended Hardware

Thanks Mate! Very Helpful.

It sounds like a higher end laptop. Make & Model ?

If it has an open slot (which many higher end notebooks do,) that can be used to later insert an Nvidia card, then I do not think you need worry too much.

Its the HP EliteBook 840 G3 Touchscreen Notebook

http://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=V6D70PA&opt=&sel=NTB

Well looking at the “Technical Details” page (and expanding “See More…”) it does not seem to have any internal expansion slots that could be used for a dedicated graphics card.

Thanks again, its a great help!

So in your experience would I be better off going for something with a dedicated graphics card or would it be much of a muchness?

The HP 850 has the option of AMD graphics card with 1Gb memory -

Integrated: Intel HD8 Graphics 4400
Discrete: AMDTM Radeon HD 8750M, with 1 GB dedicated GDDR5 video memory

http://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=V6D73PA&opt=&sel=NTB

AMD Radeon graphics are worse than Intel, IMO. Search the forum, and you’ll see a lot of users having a lot of issues with AMD graphics.

And with a CPU running 4400 graphics, it must be a 4th generation chip:

If you can afford it, try to stay up in the 5th or 6th generation systems.

Well that was close! Good to know! Thanks.

FYI, I have created a standalone wikilist of collected topic threads:
Hardware Purchasing Advice For SketchUp & LayOut

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad x201 which I use mostly with my ultrabase as desktop alternative. The specs can be found here: https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/documents/pd010141 the reason why I am posting here is because my trees and plants form arcstudio 3D look really rubbish and won’t render properly? I scoured the forums and the search engines in pursuit of an answer to my dilemma and so far have come up with nothing,not even Matt donley has been able to advise?! I started thinking maybe it’s my graphics card and/or hardware? Or RAM? I just don’t understand why trees and plants would require so much system RAM to render? Is it because they have so many edges and therefore so many faces?would live to get to the bottom of this as it has already caused me hours and hours of frustration and hair pulling!!! Have deadlines to reach and I can’t supply a client with a design proposal if the drawing isnt finished. I think in the interim I shall just have to do the drawing without the planting. I look forward to someone who has the know how giving me a concrete solution to this, you?

Please start a new topic about these tree / plant components and post an example model or one of the tree component files so the sages can look at it.

Your machine is quite old. The chipset was released 6 years ago:

and the CPUs appear to be 2nd generation Intel Core with HD 2000/3000 series integrated graphics.

This is not a good machine for rendering.

1 Like

Hi Dan, Thanks for getting back to me so promptly.
So basically my machine is too old! you wouldnt happen to know of a alternative to sketchup that would render fine on my machine?
Thanks

Well, first of all, SketchUp is a modeler, not a renderer. There are 3rd party render applications that can work with SketchUp. Memory is always a factor. It looks like from your profile (graphics memory 1.6GB max,) that you may have only 4GB of memory. Your machine can take up to 8GB.

If this is true (you only have 4GB) under 64-bit Windows, your machine is basically limited memory-wise as if it was running a 32-bit edition OS.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb613473(v=vs.85).aspx

Basically a set of 8GB SODIMMs for your machine would be about 38US:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA26X42J9247

So as much memory as you can get will always help no matter what heavy software you run.

yes I think Ive only got 4gigs atm so upgrading to the 8gigs would defo help. sorry when I used the term rendering I was referring to the tree components alone. I’m new to this whole software environment and have only just started to migrate from hand drawn to CAD so all the jargon is again alien to me, if its supposed to be modelling then so be it, as far as I was concerned prior to you enlightening me modelling and rendering meant the same thing to me, obviously this is not the case. I shall defintely look into upgrading the RAM maybe even the cpu if my motherboard will let me, havent looked into it that far yet. cheers

Like I said previously, start a new topic, and post one of the tree components so the component gurus can take a look at it.

thanks sorry for wasting your time, takes a while to get used to how to us this very helpful forum operates, cheers :wink:

one more question: you said “post one fo the tree components” so by that comment do you mean just a tree component or a blank model with a tree component in it? I dont know how else I would post it and in what format (skp?)
thanks in advance

How funny is that? little more dabbling and a little more searching, what a great community. I found out about layers. Put my Tree on a separate layer and Boom! SU has decreased its lag by about 80% woohoo!
Next thing I did was go to view and unselect edges, profiles, and also selected shaded instead of shaded with textures. Horrible ugly black outlines on tree no longer visible! I am over the moon!

1 Like

Either / or will get it done.

Both are SKP format.

A component’s context becomes the top level model context when it is saved as a standalone SKP file.

The reverse is also true. Any model SKP file inserted / imported into another model becomes a component in the receiving model.

A post was split to a new topic: SketchUp Not Using GPU