Installing gems on x86 vista sp2

I’m on vista sp2 x86 with a fresh installation of SU2014M1. Using Gem.install ‘anygemhere’ results in

Error: #<LoadError: 127: The specified procedure could not be found.   - C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/Tools/RubyStdLib/platform_specific/openssl.so>
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:45:in `require'
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:45:in `require'
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/Tools/RubyStdLib/openssl.rb:17:in `<top (required)>'
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/security.rb:11:in `<top (required)>'
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/package.rb:43:in `<top (required)>'
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/dependency_installer.rb:3:in `<top (required)>'
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems.rb:524:in `install'
<main>:in `<main>'
-e:1:in `eval'
nil

I haven’t tried putting the gem files directly inside sketchup gem folder on appdata\roaming… and see if that works at least.

openssl.so exists in that path, why is the error thrown?

OpenSSL has serious bugs that have only been addressed in later Ruby patch levels.
I think there is another thread around here in which it is discussed.

Doesn’t SU2014 and onward have the same ruby revision? How are they reacting differently? Installing gems in a 32bit OS doesnt work for sketchup? Or am I doing something wrong?

All we can say is what the current released SketchUp versions (2014 & 2015) have by way of Ruby version and patch level. (Which is v 2.0.0, patch level p247.)

Ruby does not stand still while SketchUp does. The latest release of Ruby version 2.0.0, is patch level p645. (But it cannot be used for SketchUp, because SketchUp uses a specially tweaked edition.)

ADD: All Core support for all patch levels of Ruby 2.0.0, will end next February.

Ruby 2.0.0 is now under the state of the security maintenance phase, until Feb. 24th, 2016. After the date, maintenance of Ruby 2.0.0 will be ended. *

I am hoping that the next SketchUp version (2016) will use Ruby 2.1.x or 2.2.x.

There will likely not be any more updates nor releases for SketchUp 2014, and it is rather late in the maintenance cycle of 2015, for it to have any more updates or maintenance releases. (They need to be working on the next version builds now, to be ready by the Trimble convention in November.)

As I had said:

Most everyday users will not have Ruby build tools installed.

When I install SU2014/5 32-bit on w7-x64 installing gems doesn’t throw errors. Is SU installing different files on vista-x86?

Basically I need to know if there’s a quick hack I can do on SU .rb files or copy and paste from my w7-x64 installation so that gems can finally work without openssl errors. Or if there’s a way to completely bypass https and use plain http or even use a local dir for gem installs if the above is not possible.

Can anyone help me with that? I really really need to make this work in the following days.

For your machine only ? … or any machine that installs your extension ?

See: http://forums.sketchup.com/t/gist-snippet-for-ruby-openssl-ssl-verify-none-alternative/10072

Yeah, I read that thread, but correct me if I’m mistaken, it talks about how to implement openssl under SU ruby. I do not want to use it, it just happens to throw an error I don’t understand. Just want to install some gems without problems, all I need.

I thought this was happening to any 32-bit OS but I checked w7-x86 and server2008-x86 and they don’t throw an openssl error. Could it be that an irrelevant application called OpenVPN (uses openssl library) installed on this machine is conflicting with SU ruby’s openssl?