How to vertically extrude a draped surface?

I have a surface onto which I’ve draped another surface. I’d like to vertically extrude the draped surface.

Really, I’d like to stamp the surface I’m currently draping, but with a transition of zero, so all the connecting lines are perfectly vertical. Unfortunately, stamp doesn’t allow a transition of zero.

A painful way to do this is to drape, then move/copy the draped surface up, then manually connect each vertical line. Painful!

Any easy way to do this?

it’s hard to me understand what you try to do because of my poor English.
Could you add some pictures showing us what you mean?
I’d like to see what you have and what you need.

Push/pull the face downwards, below the other face, open the other face (if its grouped) then select all and intersect faces with model. Delete what you don’t need.

Geez - duh! Thanks.

I was so totally consumed with my already draped surface, that I didn’t think of that.

But now I’m wondering, how useful is drape? It seems about as easy to do push/pull, intersect, delete.

1 Like

Well, “most often” one doesn’t need the vertical connecting edges that you were after. So I guess the answer is: it saves you the trouble of intersecting and deleting unwanted stuff.

Btw, ‘Push/Pull’ is for single faces only.

1 Like

https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/jointpushpull

This plugin might work if you are trying to thicken a non standard surface.
Start the “vector” command > pick the extrude vector > select all of the surfaces you need to thicken > click drag the surfaces in the chosen direction > type the thickness required (note this plugin uses positive and negative values for each direction).

I use this to thicken topography from the mapping tool so it should work for draped surfaces…
It can be a little bug splatty for complex things so save before you try.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.