How to make an octagonal dome (roof)

Can anyone give me some guidance about how to create a dome shaped roof for an octagonal building (plan view). The dome follows the octagonal shape

Draw an octagon, select the polygon tool, type 8 Enter, you now get octagons.

Draw four lines across the octagon.

Use the Move tool to drag the center endpoint upwards.

I believe @colin’s method would result in a pyramid. Use Follow Me on a curved profile to get a dome. Thus:

-Gully

I did an image search for octagon roofs before I posted. None of them look like your dome! Of course, that doesn’t mean you’re not correct.

One variation of the type I saw is where the center of the top has a flat area, presumably also a little octagon. To make that variation would be the same steps, only you select that center face before using the Move tool.

I was simply taking the OP at his word. He said “dome.”

http://www.leninimports.com/filippo_brunelleschi_gallery_2.jpg

-Gully

Based on a Wikipedia definition, it would appear that @Gully_Foyle’s solution may be the correct rendition. Note the key reference to half of a sphere in the following definition.

Dome
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A dome (from Latin: domus) is an architectural element that resembles the hollow upper half of a sphere. The precise definition has been a matter of controversy. There are also a wide variety of forms and specialized terms to describe them. A dome can rest upon a rotunda or drum, and can be supported by columns or piers that transition to the dome through squinches or pendentives. A lantern may cover an oculus and may itself have another dome. Domes have a long architectural lineage that extends back into prehistory and they have been constructed from mud, stone, wood, brick, concrete, metal, glass, and plastic over the centuries.

Is that a picture of your house?

It’s my dog house.

1 Like

good to see the tiger is back

3 Likes