How to layout a cabinet job in SU

I am relatively new to SU and I am trying to find the best way to layout a cabinet job. I never model a whole house, just certain rooms but I am looking for ways to keep everything organized. I will typically model the whole room with cabinets, but will need to pull each cabinet out for production. Right now I am creating scenes of each cabinet, hiding all the other components, but when I go to unhide something from the single cabinet I might unhide the whole room. I am here looking for a better way to view each cabinet I have drawn in a room and not have to copy a new component or have scenes that can change and make using LayOut more difficult. Thanks!

Hiding and unhiding can be problematic and depending on how you’ve grouped things and how you are hiding them, you may not have the control you need.

Instead of using Hide you should be using tags and tag folders to control the visibility of the objects (components and groups) in your model. Then set the tag visibility as required for each scene.

If you need to treat each cabinet as an individual project for production, you could make each cabinet a component and then save those into a folder as individual SketchUp files. Then you can open each one in turn and create the scenes you need to develop the shop drawings for the cabinet.

My inclination with this sort of a project would be to keep all the cabinets in a single SketchUp file and create a cutlist that allows batching of parts so, for example, all of the base cabinet case sides in the project can be one line item in the cut list. (or two lines if you want to differentiate between lefts and rights.)