How many of you combine your favorite CAD software with Sketchup?

That’s what I meant really. Must have put it badly!

I see how I misunderstood. Sorry.

Some people will still say, when defending CAD, SketchUp doesn’t deal well with arcs, circles and other curves, which is true. Funny that I just started doing curved projects with SketchUp though:

I would say that SketchUp is quite a good tool for the kind of work you show. I have done projects in Archicad and Revit, and both struggle with the kind of forms and small misalignments shown in the project you posted. They are good at producing consistent documentation and schedules for projects where that is important but I think that their benefit is not that great in this kind of one-off highly individual work.

2 Likes

I agree with that. Though SketchUp is also very capable of dealing with more repetitive and/or standardized construction methodologies too.

It’s not as good for schedules and on facilitating documentation on those projects though it’s not incredibly hard too.

It’s also capable of exporting IFC files, if we are careful assembling them too, though for high end ifc files it would be better to work with something else.

Overall I feel SketchUp is very much capable as the main software we use for architecture.