How Intersect Faces

As you can see in the picture, I want to make 3 pieces. I created a helix and a three-cylinder. In this way intersect them, it takes a lot of time and is not smooth intersection. What is the way I do that?

To start with, I’d only make one cylinder instead of three. I’d work at a large scale using the Dave Method.

What are those parts used for? Are the ridges a portion of screw thread or are they just simple ridges?

Wild guess: they look like the jaws from a drill chuck.

2 Likes

Yes, it is true.

What are you going to do with these when you get them modeled? Are they to be 3D printed? Do the threads need to work? If they do, then you should draw a proper thread profile. Again work at a large scale to avoid tiny gaps and other bad geometry.

Hi @ecati, did you finish your model?
I’d like to know if you found a solution and how you did. Were you working with exact measures? did you use some plugin for the helix?

I have not finished the model yet. Because I did not intersect like it needed to. I used Helix Along Curve and Upright Extruder plug-ins. I am still waiting for help from someone who knows.

Look at the inside of your thread profile. There’s an extra surface inside. I’m not sure how you created it but it will certain cause problems.Delete the surface, clean up the stray edges with Solid Inspector 2 and close the ends of the thread to get a solid. That’ll give you a good start.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.