Help With Building Light Fixture Replicas - Sonneman

This has been percolating away in the back of my mind, particularly a way to make a wavy circle face without using plugins, so I woke up with this in mind.
Certainly not a sine wave but a method to make floppy disks. A wave at 60deg or whatever you choose and whatever amount of curve. If you angle the arcs the wave becomes smoother.
PsuedoSine
Then using it to make a light fitting, I’ve made no attempt to make this look right, just a technique.
Eggdome

5 Likes

This is fantastic. You guys are Sketchup gurus!
Thank you so much for breaking it down for me. Hopefully at some point with practice I’ll speak the lingo and master the extensions… But for now, the step by step really helps!
Going to attempt @Box ‘s step by step when I’m back in the office on Tuesday.
Thank you again!

1 Like

I finally looked at the image, I rarely follow links, you should add images directly to the post. On this one I angled the arcs at 30 rather than the blue axis, gives a much smoother wave. This is pretty much what @DaveR showed in about the third or fourth post, just no use of plugins at all.Offset the oval before follow me and flip the wave and you create a fully solid structure.

5 Likes

I can’t access the OPs website. Malwarebytes says:
" Website blocked due to malware

Your Malwarebytes blocked this website because it may contain malware.

We strongly recommend you do not continue"

It seems fine in my browser.

Box this is brilliant. You must truly dream SketchUp. But I don’t understand what you mean when you “angle” the arcs.

If you draw them on the blue axis they get a bump in them, by rotating them to a softer angle you get a smoother transition, here I have rotated it 60deg off the blue, or 30deg off the red. Sorry the gif is a bit stilted, I’m hampered by the first coffee of the day in my left hand.

4 Likes

Thanks. That’s cool!