Help Sketchup file corrupted after PC turned off accidentally

Error “this does not appear to be a sketchup model” when I tried to open the file after it PC was turned off.

I also checked the skp file, and it seems that all texts are nulls. On the other hand, there are some datas on skb file, but still won’t open even if I renamed it to .skp file.

I provided here the skp and skp file for reference.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZPettW1pkdZjxjwsD8siV8Ay7RJ-c-2i?usp=sharing

All of the SKP is filled with zeros. A third of the SKB is also filled with zeros.

In File Explorer, go to this path:

%LocalAppData%\SketchUp\SketchUp 2023\SketchUp\working\SKETCHUP\RecoveredFiles

See if there is a copy of the file in that folder.

RecoveredFiles folder is empty

You should check if Preferences, General, Auto-save is turned on. It’s useful for times when a crash or power cut happens after the last time you had done a save.

I don’t know what you can do about the current file, unless you have some other back up system in place.

Yup, Auto save every 5 minutes. But from what I’ve remember, I did click ctrl+S before the PC shutdown.
I have no backup or whatso ever, I guess I need to start from scratch again.

Going forward, save your files to a local (internal) drive and also use Trimble Connect>Publish to upload a copy to your Trimble Connect storage. You’ve got unlimited storage there as part of your subscription so you might as well use it. That’ll give you another backup so less likely you’ll have to start entirely from scratch if your computer powers off again.

1 Like