Feature request upvote system/poll

Ah okay, we’ve discussed this in the past several times in the various forums that SketchUp has had.

The main thing is that the forum engine has to support this natively (like Quora and StackOverflow does,) or else a Discourse plugin like I suggested in the poll topic:
[POLL] Should SketchUp forum use the Discourse Question Answer plugin?

But secondarily, such systems only collect the subjective enumeration of number of “likes” and “dislikes” for any proposed feature(s). Such systems do not tell the developers anything objective about why, how, how often and when users would actually need and use the proposed feature. Developers need objective data in order to make good decisions about which features to implement. It shouldn’t be solely a subjective popularity contest.

This is why when I have created a poll here, that I’ve tried to make it more detailed then just a up vote and down vote kind of thing.

FYI, back in the days when Google still owned SketchUp, one of Google’s websites that SketchUp used was just that kind of Feature Request / Voting interface. Google has since shut it down, probably because it wasn’t really all that useful to software developers.

A small essay that explains why …

IMO, ProductBoard’s idea are a step toward a better solution, but still fall far short.

1 Like