Face-Me logo in SketchUp Pro 2016

Older versions of SketchUp gave you a dialog box when you make something a component. in 16 if I right click the 2D object that I’ve drawn and select Make Component, nothing happens. I was to set the component to Face-Me but can’t figure out how. Any help would be appreciated.

…found it, I think______________________________________

Have you changed your monitor setup recently. The same component window should pop up, but it may be appearing on a non visible monitor.

What you are saying is unlikely. Maybe you are creating a group not a component.
To edit your component into a face me component, open the Components/in model window, select your desired component and click Edit. You will have there the Always face camera option.

Nope, now I’ve lost it. I made my logo a component but it’s not showing up with the other components I’ve made. Frustrated - don’t have time for all this poking around.

No worries, I don’t have time to try and guess what you have done .

Oh that’s nice.
Okay, I’ll try this again. I right clicked on the object I’ve drawn and selected Make Component. Then when look in the Components Default Try it’s not there. All the other components that I made when I was using SketchUp Make 15 are there. If I can find it, I have figured out how to click the edit tab to make it Face-Me.

That’s why I asked my questions, it’s quite straight forward in all versions so there must be something else going on.
Until we know what that is we can’t help.

1 Like

Ok. My copy of SketchUp is broken. The dialog box does not appear. I’ve moved the program window back and forth between both of my screens, minimized, maximized even restarted the computer. No dialog box comes up.

Thanks for taking a look and this. I’ll try again another day.

Ok, right click on something and select Make Component, this will get focus on the component dialog. Hit Alt and Shift together, then m then any arrow key and finally move the mouse around in all possible phantom screen directions until the Component dialog appears.

1 Like

SketchUp is probably fine as it most likely does not manage its own dialog window placement system.

Like a vast majority of softwares, it outsource its dialog box placement tasks to the operating system window placement service, which in turn is sometimes outsourced to your graphic card driver or other window management software (displayfusion, etc)

Building on @Box suggestion, make sure the window is focused (right after creating the component) and if you have a Windows key on your keyboard, hold it as well as the SHIFT key down while using left/right arrow keys to have the dialog box toggle between each of your extended desktop monitors.

@CJWhitsett PC or Mac? I don’t know about the PC, but on the mac if I have already grouped geometry, then I right click and make component, no dialog appears. I have to explode the group, then make it a component.

It’s the same on the PC, too.

1 Like

PC - I finally shut it all down and started with a new file. It’s working on a new shape in a new drawing. The problem could have been because I created a component (my logo) then when I realized that it was not rotated properly, I deleted it from the Components menu. Now I have it sitting in a .skp file as s component but it’s not in the library. I can’t figure out how to make it a get it back in the library. Maybe I can edit the component / copy the drawing / paste it in a new drawing and make a new component?

Nope, It did it again. I right click on the grouped object and select Make Component. No dialog box comes up and it does not appear in the library. When I try to right click it again all I can do is Edit component.

That’s what I was pointing out, if you make a group into a component, you don’t get a dialog.

1 Like

But shouldn’t it show up in my components library? Everything else that I created in SketchUp make is there.

I can only see it in the list for In Model. How do I get it to move to where the rest of my components are?

Right-click the component and click Save As…
Then put it in your “My Components” folder

Thanks, you just saved me hours of watching ho-to videos.